We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
John C. Calhoun (1782-1860), of South Carolina, was a leading proponent of States' rights. He served his State and country with distinction in the House of Representatives 1811-17, and as Secretary of War 1817-25, Vice President 1825-32, Senator 1832~4 and 1845 60, and Secretary of State 1844 45.
(SwStr: t. 508; a. 2 32-par., 180 par. r.)
Calhoun was built in 1851 at New York as Cuba' was commissioned as a privateer by the Confederates on 15 May 1861 and while operating as a Confederate privateer and blockade runner, was captured by Colorado off Southwest Pass, La., 23 January 1862. Commissioned for Federal service under Lieutenant J. E. DeHaven, she joined the West Gulf Blockading Squadron 19 March 1862.
In her service on patrol off the Passes of the Mississippi River Calhoun established herself as one of the most successful blockading ships, taking part in the capture of 13 ships before 5 May 1862, when she steamed up the Mississippi for duty in Lake Ponchartrain. Here she continued to add to her score, chasing and capturing a steamer, a gunboat, two schooners, and a sloop. Later in the year, she sought out and captured another sloop in Atchafalaya Bay.
In early November, Calhoun stood up Berwick Bay and Bayou Teche with two other steamers to engage Confederate shore batteries and the steamer CSS Cotton, barricaded on the Teche. Remaining in the Berwick Bay area on patrol, Calhoun and her consorts climaxed their extremely successful operations 14 April 1863 when they attacked the cotton-clad steamer CSS Queen of the West. One shot at long range from Calhoun turned the Confederate ship into a torch, and a major threat to Union forces in the area was destroyed. Calhoun continued to add to her distinguished record with her Participation in the attack on Fort Butte-a- la-Rose on 20 April, and in August, was ordered to base on Ship Island, from which she continued her active and aggressive bombardments of shore positions, and took four more prizes. In the furious assault on Fort Powell the last 2 weeks of February 1864, Calhoun flew the flag of Admiral D. G. Farragut.
Turned over to the United States Marshal at New Orleans on 6 May 1864, Calhoun was sold on 4 June to the U.S. Army.
Fort Calhoun was platted in 1855.  It was named for John C. Calhoun. 
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.65 square miles (1.68 km 2 ), all land. 
|U.S. Decennial Census |
2010 census Edit
As of the census  of 2010, there were 908 people, 391 households, and 253 families living in the city. The population density was 1,396.9 inhabitants per square mile (539.3/km 2 ). There were 413 housing units at an average density of 635.4 per square mile (245.3/km 2 ). The racial makeup of the city was 96.7% White, 0.2% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.7% from other races, and 2.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.2% of the population.
There were 391 households, of which 28.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.9% were married couples living together, 11.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 35.3% were non-families. 32.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.95.
The median age in the city was 41.4 years. 24.9% of residents were under the age of 18 4.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24 24.1% were from 25 to 44 30.8% were from 45 to 64 and 15.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 51.4% male and 48.6% female.
2000 census Edit
As of the census  of 2000, there were 856 people, 342 households, and 229 families living in the city. The population density was 1,380.5 people per square mile (533.1/km 2 ). There were 375 housing units at an average density of 604.8 per square mile (233.5/km 2 ). The racial makeup of the city was 98.48% White, 0.58% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.12% from other races, and 0.70% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.29% of the population.
There were 342 households, out of which 36.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.7% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.0% were non-families. 30.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 27.9% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 14.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.5 males.
As of 2000 the median income for a household in the city was $41,500, and the median income for a family was $57,679. Males had a median income of $36,250 versus $25,000 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,779. About 3.1% of families and 3.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.1% of those under the age of 18 and 6.0% of those 65 and older.
Although he was a fairly competent showman in the ring, the gigantic Haystacks Calhoun was by no means known as a tremendous worker and certainly not a traditional wrestler. However, in Calhoun’s case, traditional wrestling prowess was simply not the key to his success. In a game that’s one part sport, two parts showbiz, it’s an accepted fact that marketability and charisma are just as important as technical ability and Haystacks Calhoun was among those performers that proved a wrestler’s character and image could be just as important as pure wrestling ability. During his prime in the late Fifties and early Sixties, he was easily one of the most popular entertainers on television and the name Haystacks Calhoun was more recognizable to the mainstream public than virtually any other performer in professional wrestling. Furthermore, despite his lack of technical wrestling ability, the beloved gentle giant was able to draw huge crowds to his matches, genuinely helping to expand the popularity of his chosen profession. Calhoun was a sports entertainer in the truest sense of the term and a man who helped shape the future of the business by cementing in the minds of promoters that a grappler could “get over” not just by displaying exceptional wrestling skills, but also via the development of his or her look, character & personality.
Haystacks Calhoun was born William Calhoun on August 4, 1934 in McKinney, Texas and when he was in his early twenties, the massive young Calhoun was convinced to take a shot at a career in professional wrestling. Standing 6′ 3″ and weighing in at a colossal lbs.” (in reality, Calhoun fluctuated between 450-500 pounds) the rookie wrestler certainly had the size criteria covered. In fact, upon his debut, Haystacks Calhoun was (rightfully) promoted as the largest wrestler in the world. However, in addition to his extraordinary size and bulk, Calhoun’s “farm boy” gimmick, which was quite unique at the time, is what truly got him over as a hugely popular babyface. Billed as hailing from Morgan’s Corner, Arkansas, the likable young country boy was an instant hit with fans when he began his career in the mid-Fifties. With his trademark good-luck horseshoe chained to his neck, the barefooted hillbilly struck a chord with television’s huge wrestling audience, many of whom still lived in rural areas of the country. Almost immediately, Calhoun enjoyed a position as one of the major superstars at the tail end of the “Golden Age of Wrestling,” a time during which the sport was a staple of the popular new entertainment outlet of television. As charismatic as he was heavy, the mammoth Calhoun made a lasting impression on a huge percentage of the U.S. population, even those who did not necessarily follow professional wrestling.
The enormous Haystacks would often entertain his audience by competing in two-on-one handicap matches. However, billed at 601 lbs., the huge Calhoun would still top the combined weight of his opponents, and despite being out-manned, it was clear to his fans that the popular farmer was never in any real danger of being defeated during his many handicapped bouts. The fame that Calhoun garnered as a result of his career in wrestling led to other show business opportunities, including product endorsements and movie offers. In 1962, the monstrous wrestler appeared in Rod Serling’s critically acclaimed masterpiece, Requiem for a Heavyweight , further adding to Calhoun’s already substantial mainstream notoriety. The enormous grappler made a short but memorable appearance portraying a pro wrestler, opposite the film’s lead character, a punch drunk, washed-up boxer (Anthony Quinn) who, at the urging of his debt-ridden manager (Jackie Gleason) is reduced to earning a paycheck in the shady, vaudevillian world of professional wrestling. The film, of course, went on to be a classic and the renowned Calhoun received positive reviews for his brief but memorable film debut.
As one of the top attractions in the business, Haystacks Calhoun was placed in programs with some of the biggest stars of the day, including “Nature Boy” Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski and George “Crybaby” Cannon, among many others. While he would never be confused with a great technical wrestler, the massive Calhoun did possess surprising agility and some impressive moves, including his devastating sit-down splash finishing maneuver, and he was involved in what were considered exciting wrestling matches. Throughout the decade of the Sixties, Calhoun remained one of the premier attractions in pro wrestling, traveling from territory to territory and entertaining fans along the way.
The nature of his gimmick was such that he really didn’t need to wear championship gold in order to be a success and as a result, Calhoun won just a handful of tag team titles during his career, and never a singles championship. His first came in 1960 when he teamed with The Amazing Zuma to win the NWA Southern Tag Team title, followed by the WWA International TV Tag Team title with Abe Jacobs in 1962. Calhoun twice captured the Canadian Tag Team title w/ Don Leo Jonathon, first in 1966 and again in 1968. He also teamed with a young Jack Brisco to capture the United States Tag Team title in 1966 and the Florida Tag Team title in 1974 with Kevin Sullivan.
After years of nomadic travel with no real “home base,” Calhoun eventually settled in the Northeast, with Vince McMahon’s Capitol Wrestling group, where he enjoyed massive fan support. After engaging in a heated program with WWWF mainstay Bruno Sammartino, Calhoun later formed a successful team with “The Living Legend.” Additionally, the big man enjoyed a solid pairing with the legendary Bobo Brazil. It was while wrestling in the World Wide Wrestling Federation that Haystacks Calhoun won the most prestigious championship of his career, teaming with the popular young Australian Tony Garea to capture the WWWF Tag Team championship. On May 30, 1973 in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, Calhoun and Garea defeated the reigning champions, the hated but lethal Japanese team of Fuji & Tanaka, to win the WWWF tag team gold. The popular duo combined youth & speed with size & power, and the end result was a championship duo that drew and maintained fan interest. Over the course of the following four months, Calhoun & Garea successfully defended their title belts against the ongoing challenge of the talented former champions, as well as other top WWWF teams. However, on September 11, 1973, Fuji & Tanaka were able to regain the World Wide Wrestling Federation Tag Team championship, taking the straps back from Garea & Calhoun in Philadelphia. Haystacks Calhoun continued wrestling in the WWWF throughout much of the Seventies, as well as making special guest appearances in other wrestling hotbeds across the country. But, after nearly twenty years of taking bumps in the ring, the big man understandably began to slow down a bit. By the latter portion of the decade, while still enjoying a position as a top attraction and a very popular fan favorite, the world-famous super heavyweight finally retired from the wrestling business.
Not surprising is the fact that, after seeing the great success achieved by Haystacks Calhoun, there were many who tried to repeat his success by adopting his gimmick, or at least parts of it. During his era, and after, there were many Calhoun-like performers, such as Giant Haystacks, “Plowboy” Stan Frazier (a.k.a. Uncle Elmer), Hillbilly Jim and the Godwinns, to name a few.
Haystacks Calhoun is a member of the WWE Hall of Fame (2017).
William “Haystacks” Calhoun passed away due to complications from diabetes on December 7, 1989 at the age of 55.
Florida Historic Marker
On Highway 20 just outside the Old County Courthouse (now the home of the Sheriff’s Office) you’ll see the only Florida Historic Marker written in two languages: English and Apalachicola Muskogee/Creek.
In alternating languages, the marker tells the story of the Apalachicola Creek Indians who, in 1815, permanently settled in what became Calhoun County. After establishing a new tribal town, the 1823 Treaty of Moultrie Creek recognized “Cochranetown” with its 100 families as part of the Blunt-Tuskie Hajo Reservation. Less than a decade later, the Indians were forced out when the 1832 Treaty of Payne's Landing pulled the land out from under them – although their unbroken line of titled chiefs continues to this day.
History of Calhoun - History
History Of Calhoun County
The boundaries of Calhoun County were set off by the Michigan territorial legislative council October 29, 1829.
The county was named for John C. Calhoun, who was then a member of President Jackson's Cabinet, Secretary of War.
The old Territorial Road which crossed through Ann Arbor, Jackson, and Marshall to what is now the Benton Harbor/Saint Joseph shoreline of Lake Michigan crossed through the county. The county was organized as a independent county on June 29, 1832.
The first land entry at Albion was made in 1830 by Ephraim Harrison.
At Marshall, the first settlers were George Ketchum who came in April 1830, and built a sawmill on Rice creek. A grist mill went into operation in late 1832. Sidney Ketchum was the original proprietor of the village of Marshall.
The first settlers in the Battle Creek area were Dr. Foster and Isaac Tolland. Ezra Convis also located near this area and became the first representative of the county to the state legislature in 1836. Many communities, especially Marshall, hosted stops on the Underground Railroad. Sojourner Truth also died in Battle Creek area in 1883 and is commemorated by a monument.
The first school was established in 1832 and the first schoolhouse served as a church as well.
The first courthouse was finished in 1838.
In 1850, there was a jail break from the jail in the courthouse basement when nine prisoners escaped after burning off the lock fastenings with an iron heated at a jail stove. The current courthouse in Marshall was completed in 1955. Some county courts are also located in Battle Creek.
|Other Genweb History Pages|
|Index to The 1877 History of Calhoun County published by L. H. Everts .|
|Index to Gardner's History|
These histories are fully text searchable, and can be displayed in text, Adobe .pdf, or image format.
AKA: "1904 Portrait and Bio Album"
AKA: "E.G. Rust Directory"
212 p. front., plates. ports., map. 37 x 30 cm. Philadelphia, L. H. Everts & co., 1877.
AKA: "Chapman's Portrait & Bio"
|Historical Societies||Michigan Pioneer Society|
All rights reserved
This site may be freely linked to but not
duplicated in any fashion without my consent.
The information on these pages is meant for personal genealogical
research only and is not for commercial use of any type.
History of Calhoun - History
Calhoun County Centennial Corporation. Souvenir Program. Grantsville, West Virginia, Calhoun County Centennial Corporation, 1956.
975.429 C152 Pam.
Calhoun Historical and Genealogical Society. History of Calhoun County, West Virginia. Waynesville, North Carolina, Walsworth Publishing, 1990.
Comstock, Jim. Hardesty's Historical and Geographical Encyclopedia. Richwood, West Virginia, Jim Comstock, 1973.
975.4003 H259 v.3.
Dewees, Daniel S. Recollections of a Lifetime. [s.l.] Paula Spaudling and Gwen Gagne, 1997.
B D516 1997.
H. H. Hardesty and Company. Hardestry's Historical and Genealogical Encyclopedia. 1949.
Knotts, Robert J and Stevens. Calhoun County in the Civil War. Parsons, West Virginia, McClain Printing Company, 1982.
Shaffer, Norma Knotts. Index to Hardesty's History of Calhoun County, West Virginia. Elyria, Ohio, Shaffer. Reprinted in Calhoun Chronicle, Grantsville, West Virginia, August 1967-August 1968.
Stevens, Robert E. Calhoun County in World War II. Grantsville, West Virginia, Calhoun Historical and Genealogical Society, 1986.
History of Calhoun - History
History of Calhoun County , Mississippi
Calhoun County was formed in 1852 by the Mississippi Legislature with land from Chickasaw, Lafayette and Yalobusha Counties . Pittsboro was established the same year by the Board of Police (Board of Supervisors) to be the county seat which was briefly at Hartford . The courthouse at Pittsboro, built in 1856 burned December 22, 1922 , along with all records except five books of abstracts of land records.
The first settlers came to the area that is now Calhoun County in the 1830's. Road systems were established as settlers arrived but flat boats and keel boats navigated Calhoun County 's two rivers, the Loosa Schoona and the Yalobusha, in the 1800's to bring in supplies and to ship cotton from the county.
The county has always had a substantial rural population. It now has about 15,000 people. Bruce and Calhoun City are the two largest towns with populations of around 2,200 and 2,000 respectively. Vardaman's population is about 1,000. Pittsboro is a village with about 150 people. Other municipalities are Derma, Slate Springs and Big Creek.
Farming remains a major industry. Other industries include lumber, furniture and woodworks, along with textile industries. Two newspapers, a radio station and a low powered television station give the county media coverage.
Calhoun County 's road system includes State Highway Numbers 8, 9, 9W, 32 and 330. The county is located in North central Mississippi about forty miles southwest of Tupelo .
The Calhoun County Historical and Genealogical Society, Inc. is dedicated to collecting and preserving historical and genealogical information of Calhoun County , Mississippi and the surrounding areas. Membership is $20.00 per person a year, January to January. Anyone paying dues at any time during the year receives the quarterly newsletters for that year. Join now - Membership Form
The Society publishes The Newsletter four times a year. This publication provides members with local historical and genealogical information. Members are also entitled to publish free queries and publicity about personal historical and genealogical materials.
The Society meets the second Sunday afternoons at 2:00 in January, March, September and November at the Dennis Murphree House, located behind the City Hall Building at Pittsboro on Bullard Street. This building has been donated to the Historical Society.
The Society is staffed by volunteers and is a non-profit corporation. In December, 1997 the home of former Mississippi Governor Dennis H. Murphree at Pittsboro was donated to The Society to be made into a historical & genealogical research center and museum. This 1940's home has been made into a wonderful Research Center by many hours of volunteer labor. We are currently open by appointment. If you have family ties to Calhoun County , MS and would like to make a monetary donation to help us maintain this center, please mail your donation to the address at the top of this page. More information about The Dennis Murphree House can be found on related web pages.
The Society has agreed to help with the MSGenweb research project and has adopted the Calhoun County page. As we collect information in and about Calhoun County we will be able to share it with many who would not get to make a personal visit. Anyone with items for publication on the MSGenweb web pages, contact Rose Diamond.
The History of West Calhoun
Lake Calhoun was named in honor of John Caldwell Calhoun, the United States Secretary of War, who sent the Army to survey the area around Fort Snelling in 1817 and who ultimately authorized the construction of Fort Snelling. The lake was originally called “Mde Ma-ka-ska” by the Dakota, which meant “Lake of the White Earth.” Settlers later named it “Medoza” or Loon Lake.
Before Europeans settled this area, Lake Calhoun and environs were populated by Dakota people. The first recorded village on the Lake was established in 1928 thanks to Cloudman, a Dakota leader and Major Lawrence Taliaferro, who was based at Fort Snelling. The village, known as Eatonville, was short-lived due to a Dakota-Ojibwe feud.
Much of the land around Lake Calhoun in the 1880s was swampland. By 1900, only five houses had been built in the area just north of the Minikahda Club. Dredging of the area occurred during two periods – between 1911-15 and 1923-25. Virtually all of the park, beaches and boulevards are built on man-made land.
In the 1870s, Lake Calhoun was a resort area. People came to the area to get away from the city. In 1874, Louis Menage developed a resort hotel on the western shore of Lake Calhoun, where the Minikahda Club stands today. The area was called Menage’s Lake Side Park. Visitors reached the park by a small steamer run by the Motor Line (which also ran trains to the area in hopes of cashing in on the resort business.) The area was expected to “appeal to the super wealthy who would be able to commute to Minneapolis in their personal carriages.” Lake Side Park did not attract the super rich. The area was replatted in 1891 as Mendoza Park.
The Minikahda Club was established in 1898. In the early days, the club ran their own launch from 31st Street to their dock. The golf course was opened as a nine hole course, but was expanded to eighteen holes by 1923.
In 1914, the Minneapolis Park Board purchased two launches and offered scheduled trips around Lake Calhoun and into Lake of the Isles, Cedar Lake and Brownie Lake. Stops on the boat trip included 31st Street, 34th Street, Thomas Avenue, 36th Street (referred to as “Mineral Springs), “Spring Beach” (opposite the Minikahda Club) and Lake Street. The Park Board also operated a boat concession, renting rowboats and sailboats.
The Murder of Kitty Ging
Catherine “Kitty” Ging owned a dressmaking shop on Nicollet Avenue that boasted a stylish clientele. Kitty lived in the fashionable Ozark Flats (located at 13th and Hennepin), as did one of her beaux, Harry Hayward, the son of a rich Minneapolis real-estate developer. Hayward was a dapper fellow who was a professional gambler and was known to have connections with counterfeiters.
On the evening of December 3, 1894, Kitty had plans to attend the Grand Opera with Harry Hayward. She ordered a horse and carriage and proceeded to the West Hotel downtown and then drove out near Lake Calhoun. It was there, on the road that is now Lake Calhoun Parkway, in the vicinity of the Minikahda Club, that she was found sprawled on the road with a bullet in her head.
The murderer was found within three days. It was revealed that Harry Hayward had two $5,000 life insurance policies on Kitty’s life. Hayward had coerced the Ozark Flats janitor, Claus Blixt, to murder Ging by threatening to murder Blixt’s wife. Harry Hayward was hanged about a year later for the crime. Blixt served a life sentence in prison.
In 2002, WCNC hosted a Kitty Ging Festival.
Reference: Lanegran, David A. and Sandeen, Ernest R. The Lake District of Minneapolis, A History of the Calhoun-Isles Community. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. 1979.
Abbeville County has a rich and colorful history that traces back to the 1700s. The county was formed in 1758 and stretches from the Savannah River to the Saluda River across the upstate and encompasses the towns of Abbeville, Calhoun Falls, Donalds, Due West, and Lowndesville. Abbeville is named after a town in France located in northern France only 20 miles from the Atlantic coastline. Abbeville County South Carolina sits along the Savannah River separating South Carolina and Georgia.
Abbeville County is rich in historical landmarks and famous native sons and daughters who made significant contributions to our local community, state government, and national government.
Trinity Episcopal Church was founded in 1842. The cornerstone was laid in 1859 at the current address of 200 Church Street at a cost of $15,665.00 dollars that included the organ. The church steeple sits 120 feet high and is easily seen within downtown Abbeville. The church grounds also include a cemetery which holds both Confederate and Union soldiers.
100 Years and Growing
In 2005, Farrell-Calhoun celebrated it's 100 year anniversary. Our "100 year flyer" documented the history and milestones that occurred over the years.
During this anniversary year, the Farrell-Calhoun logo was transformed. The block style logo was changed to the current logo which was discovered in a 1932 Farrell-Calhoun newspaper advertisement.
In 2010 Farrell-Calhoun acquired the assets of Color & Supply Company, the parent company for Kentucky Paint Manufacturing Company in Lexington, Kentucky. The acquisition included Kentucky Paint's manufacturing facility and three company stores located in Lexington and Frankfort.
Farrell-Calhoun currently has 44 company owned stores. Between 2013-2019, we opened 9 stores in Middle and East Tennessee including Murfreesboro, Cleveland, Johnson City, Farragut, Pigeon Forge, Mt. Juliet, Sevierville, Chattanooga and Knoxville. During those years, we also opened company stores in Tupelo MS, Lafayette LA, Bristol VA, New Orleans LA, and Georgetown KY.