History Podcasts

Norman Deeley

Norman Deeley

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Norman Deeley was born in Wednesbury on 30th November 1933. A talented footballer he played for England Schoolboys in 1947. It was claimed that he was the smallest ever player to represent his country. As Deeley later pointed out: "I was only 4 feet 10 inches when I left school, although I grew to a whopping 5 feet 4 eventually. But I was never worried about my height. I had bags of skill and plenty of pace and I knew I was a good enough footballer to be able to make it in the game."

Stan Cullis, the manager of Wolverhampton Wanderers, signed Deeley in 1949 and played for the reserves as a right-half at the age of 16. After the war he helped the team to capture three successive Central League (reserve) championships. Deeley made his debut in the first-team in a 2-1 home victory over Arsenal in August 1951. The team at the time included Johnny Hancocks, Sammy Smythe, Jesse Pye, Jimmy Dunn, Jimmy Mullen, Billy Crook, Roy Pritchard, Billy Wright, Bert Williams and Bill Shorthouse. He remained a fringe player in the team that won the First Division championship in the 1953-54 season.

Deeley played the occasional game at inside-forward but it was only when he was switched to the wing in 1957 that he became a regular in the side, taking the place of Harry Hooper. He now joined a forward-line that included Jimmy Mullen, Jimmy Murray, Peter Broadbent and Bobby Mason. As Ivan Ponting pointed out: "He compensated amply in skill, determination and bravery for what he lacked in physical stature."

Wolves won the First Division league title in the 1957-58 season. Deeley scored 23 goals in 41 appearances that season. This included a spell of 13 in 15 outings during the autumn. It was an outstanding total for a winger and he finished second only in Wolves' scoring chart to the centre-forward Jimmy Murray.

Deeley won his first international cap for England against Brazil on 3rd May 1958. England won the game 2-0 and Deeley was retained for the game against Peru. However, England lost the game 4-1 and this was the end of his international career.

Wolves continued to do well and finished in 2nd place in the 1959-60 season. They also won the FA Cup in 1960 with Deeley scoring two of the goals in the 3-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers. Deeley later recalled he could have had a hat-trick: "Barry Stobart made a good run down the left and got to the byline and whipped a cross in. I'd charged down the middle and Mick McGrath, the Rovers left-half, went with me. He actually reached the ball just before I did by stretching and sliding. With their keeper coming out to collect the cross I watched as the ball beat the keeper and rebounded off McGrath and into the net. It didn't really matter as I would have scored anyway."

After scoring 75 goals in 237 league and cup games, Deeley joined Leyton Orient in 1961. In his first season he helped his new club gain promotion to the First Division. In 1963 he joined Worcester City. He also played for Bromsgrove Rovers and Darlaston Town before retiring. He later worked at a community centre in Walsall.

Norman Deeley died in Wednesbury on 7th September 2007.

Norman Deeley was a tiny ball of high-octane energy and verve that never lost its bounce during his medal-rich prime with Wolverhampton Wanderers at the end of the 1950s.

An irrepressibly dynamic goal-scoring winger versatile enough to thrive on either flank, he excelled as part of the second thunderously powerful combination moulded by the formidable disciplinarian Stan Cullis, helping to lift two consecutive League titles and the FA Cup, and earning England recognition along the way.

There was never very much of the effervescent Midlander. When he made his entrance onto the international stage at schoolboy level during 1947/48, he stood a mere 4ft 4in and was said to be the smallest ever to play for the team. Indeed, he was to grow only a foot taller, but he compensated amply in skill, determination and bravery for what he lacked in physical stature.

Deeley might have joined West Bromwich Albion as a teenager, encouraged by his Throstles-supporting father, but the boy had his heart set on Wolves and he got his way, enlisting at Molineux as an amateur straight from school in 1948 at the outset of the successful Cullis managerial era. Nothing daunted at being surrounded by comparative giants, the diminutive newcomer played for the reserves at 16 and assisted in the capture of three successive Central League (reserve) championships, earning his first professional contract in December 1950.

You don't tend to settle down in the first five minutes or so. My stomach butterflies stopped after that and I felt much more with it, settled and concentrated. Blackburn did create one decent early chance when Peter Dobing went through on Malcolm Finlayson, but Malcolm saved at his feet and that turned out to be their only real chance. We started to play a bit then too. My job was always to get into the box from the right-hand side when the ball was on the left wing. It had worked the opposite way round for my goal which won the semi-final. Anyway, Barry Stobart made a good run down the left and got to the byline and whipped a cross in. I'd charged into the middle and Mick McGrath, the Rovers left half, went with me. With their keeper coming out to collect the cross I watched as the ball beat the keeper and rebounded off McGrath and into the net.

It didn't really matter as I would have scored anyway. Once the ball had beaten the goalkeeper, if Mick had missed it I was only a couple of yards behind him waiting to tap it in. But own goals are a nightmare to put behind you at the best of times and this one was in the biggest game of all. As it turned out that cost me a hat-trick in the FA Cup final. If only you'd missed it, Mick! I'm sure you wish you had too.

As I was racing in behind him ready to score I couldn't stop myself from following the ball into the net and clinging onto the rigging in celebration. I didn't normally celebrate too much, not like they do these days, but a goal at Wembley is special...

As we walked off the pitch after the half-time whistle, BBC TV asked me if it was actually my goal. Live on air, at half-time! I told the nation that Mick had scored it. I could have claimed the goal then and I would have had my hat-trick, but I knew Mick had got the touch not me and I thought it was obvious. I also didn't know what destiny had in store for me in the second half.

When we got into the dressing room all Stan said to us was "Keep going". I saw him change his shirt as the one he was wearing was wringing with sweat. It was a hot day, but I think he was so nervous, with us being favourites and then having the man advantage. He didn't want us to make any silly mistakes. We didn't have that luxury. I remember my shirt was wet through too, although at least I'd been running around! But we couldn't change. To be honest I had been hotter the previous summer when I'd played for England on tour in South America.

We played extremely competently in the second half. Blackburn didn't really threaten us. But we still needed another goal before we could say "That's it." And it came my way. Des Horne crossed from the left towards me. I was running into the area and hammered it first time. I knew it was in as soon as I stuck it and when it hit the back of the net it felt tremendous. There was even some controversy about this goal as Blackburn claimed Horne was offside. But what happened was that McGrath was standing on the goal-line playing him onside and he jumped off the pitch backwards leaving Des technically offside. But the referee allowed play to continue. Quite rightly in my opinion as I scored!

At least we'd scored a goal ourselves, rather than just win the Cup with an own goal. No-one got over-excited. I just got a pat on the back and a couple of handshakes. I think a bit of the shine had been taken off the whole thing for a lot of the lads by Blackburn going down to ten men. And anyway, we were always of the opinion that it was a team effort. In those days it really was. None of these individualist stars. In fact if anything the real stars were the players who made goals rather than those that finished them off that won the plaudits.

Then I scored again. Des Horne played a short corner routine and crossed it into the box. He mishit it a bit and the ball actually hit the post and came out in front of goal. Woods tried to clear it, but he mishit it too. It fell to me perfectly on the volley. I timed it well and hit it.

I had spent hours in the "Dungeon" beneath the stands at Molineux banging balls off the rugged walls and practicing shooting on the volley. That paid off then as I turned and hit it cleanly. There was just that small delay while I saw the ball fly into the net and then I knew it was all over. 3-0 versus ten men. We'd won.

Norman Deeley, who scored twice in Wolves’ FA Cup victory in 1960, has been found dead in his Wednesbury home at the age of 73.

Tributes have been pouring in for the player, who played for the club as a winger during the golden era of the 1950s when Wolves were crowned top-flight champions three times.

Mr Deeley has been described as “a true Wolves legend” who gave his all for the club - he made 237 appearances, scoring 75 goals in 11 years.

Former player Bill Slater, who was captain of the Wolves team that beat Blackburn Rovers to lift the FA Cup in 1960, said: “This is very sad news indeed - Norman was a fine player who was immensely popular.

“He spent many years at the club and scored a lot of goals. I remember when we beat Blackburn 3-0 and he scored twice, and if I remember right he fired in the shot for the other goal that actually came off a Blackburn player before going in.

“He did joke that he thought he should claim it so he could have a cup final hat-trick. That’s the lively character he was. It’s very sad news and he will be missed.”

Ex-player Ron Flowers, who spent 15 years at Wolves from 1952 to1967, said: “Norman was a great player and I reckon he could have played just about anywhere.

“He was a cheeky fellow, as all little players are, and will be missed an awful lot.”

Norman Deeley

Norman Victor Deeley, footballer: born Wednesbury, Staffordshire 30 November 1933 played for Wolverhampton Wanderers 1948-62, Leyton Orient 1962-64 capped twice by England 1959 (one son, one daughter) died Wednesbury 7 September 2007.

Norman Deeley was a tiny ball of high-octane energy and verve that never lost its bounce during his medal-rich prime with Wolverhampton Wanderers at the end of the 1950s.

An irrepressibly dynamic goal-scoring winger versatile enough to thrive on either flank, he excelled as part of the second thunderously powerful combination moulded by the formidable disciplinarian Stan Cullis, helping to lift two consecutive League titles and the FA Cup, and earning England recognition along the way.

There was never very much of the effervescent Midlander. When he made his entrance onto the international stage at schoolboy level during 1947/48, he stood a mere 4ft 4in and was said to be the smallest ever to play for the team. Indeed, he was to grow only a foot taller, but he compensated amply in skill, determination and bravery for what he lacked in physical stature.

Deeley might have joined West Bromwich Albion as a teenager, encouraged by his Throstles-supporting father, but the boy had his heart set on Wolves and he got his way, enlisting at Molineux as an amateur straight from school in 1948 at the outset of the successful Cullis managerial era. Nothing daunted at being surrounded by comparative giants, the diminutive newcomer played for the reserves at 16 and assisted in the capture of three successive Central League (reserve) championships, earning his first professional contract in December 1950.

At that point he was a right-half – a midfielder in modern parlance – and it was in that role that he made his senior début in a 2-1 home victory over Arsenal in August 1951. There followed sporadic first-team opportunities, some of them at inside-forward, as he completed his National Service in the Army, and he remained a fringe player as Wolves won the first League crown in their history in 1953/54.

Deeley scored his first goal for the club in a pulsating 4-4 draw with West Bromwich in the FA Charity Shield the following August, but it was difficult to imagine such a small man forging a regular centre-field berth in the fearsomely muscular, hard-running unit Cullis had created. However, the canny Molineux boss was loath to dispense with such a talented and punchy performer and towards the end of 1956/57 he gave him an extended run on the left wing, where Deeley began to hint at realising his full potential.

Thereafter he shone on a summer tour of South Africa, which set him up to star throughout the title-winning campaign of 1957/58 as a right-flank replacement for the equally minute local hero Johnny Hancocks, who had reached the veteran stage.

During that triumphant term, which saw Cullis's men finish five points clear of second-placed Preston North End, Deeley missed only one game and contributed 23 goals, including a rampant spell of 13 in 15 outings during the autumn. It was a remarkable total for a winger and he finished second only in Wolves' scoring chart to the centre-forward Jimmy Murray, but he was no mere converter of chances.

With his non-stop movement and incisive football brain, Deeley meshed fluently with his fellow forwards and was integral to Wolves' characteristic quickfire build-up play. He was particularly compelling in tandem with his closest friend, the silkily skilled inside-right Peter Broadbent, and linked beautifully, too, with the hugely underrated Murray, the industrious inside-left Bobby Mason and the experienced left winger Jimmy Mullen.

In 1958/59, at the end of which the vastly influential Wolves and England centre-half Billy Wright retired, Deeley and his fellow attackers remained equally potent as the Black Countrymen retained their championship, finishing six points ahead of the runners-up, Manchester United, who were still in the early stages of rebuilding after the ravages of the Munich air disaster.

At this point Deeley was rewarded for his derring-do in Wolves' famous gold-and-black with a full international call-up, being selected for England's springtime tour of South America, but made scant impact in defeats by Brazil and Peru and was summarily discarded by the coach, Walter Winterbottom.

At club level, though, he remained as effective as ever and in 1959/60 Wolves went agonisingly near to what would have been their greatest glory – becoming the first club in the 20th century to win the League and FA Cup double. Having completed their First Division programme they topped the table, with Deeley having netted 14 times, but then came the mortification of being overhauled by Burnley, who played their last match two days later.

However, there was consolation in store against Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup final, in which Deeley was to prove the central figure, notching two second-half goals in a comfortable 3-0 victory. In fact, he went close to a Wembley hat-trick as he was poised for a tap-in to open the scoring shortly before the interval, only for Rovers' Mick McGrath to slide in ahead of him for an own goal.

Less happily, with the score at 1-0 he was involved in a collision with Dave Whelan in which the Blackburn full-back – destined to make a fortune in business and preside over Wigan Athletic's remarkable rise to the Premiership – suffered a broken leg. In those days before substitutes were permitted, the injury rendered the final an uneven contest and infuriated Blackburn fans, who reckoned Deeley should have been dismissed for the challenge. However, the Wolves winger always maintained stoutly that the clash had been an accident, a view with which most neutral observers agreed.

In 1960/61, which was to prove his last full campaign at Molineux, Deeley remained on sprightly form as the team finished third in the table and compiled a century of League goals for the fourth successive season, but his star was beginning to decline and in February 1962, with Cullis seeking to rebuild his fading force, the little flankman was freed to join Leyton Orient.

At Brisbane Road, under the guidance of the manager Johnny Carey, Deeley enjoyed a brief, initially satisfying Indian summer, assisting Orient's rise to the First Division at the climax of that term. Thereafter, he missed only a handful of games as the hopelessly outclassed Londoners proved incapable of holding their own among the elite, then he left the League after half a season of toil back in the Second.

Later, he served a succession of non-League clubs, including Worcester City, Bromsgrove Rovers and Darlaston Town, before retiring from the game in 1974. In subsequent years Deeley managed the Caldmore Community Agency in Walsall, and worked as a steward at Walsall FC's VIP lounge.

Norman Deeley - History

Norman Deeley – maybe one goal better off than we thought.

A small piece of Wolverhampton Wanderers history may shortly be rewritten in favour of home-grown winger Norman Deeley.

The Wednesbury-born hero of the 1960 FA Cup final already has a prominent place in Molineux history with his goal tally for the club in League and cup matches standing at 75.

But that total might be about to click on to 76 thanks to the diligent checking of football statisticians in Manchester and on this patch.

Close attention is being paid to one of the goals by which Wolves beat Manchester United 2-1 in a First Division game watched by more than 38,000 on February, 1961.

The Wolves Complete Record books to which we tend to turn for reference on these matters have Ron Flowers and Shay Brennan (own goal) down as the scorers for Stan Cullis’ side.

Approaching 60 years on, though, questions are being asked as to whether that information is correct – and former Express & Star sports editor Steve Gordos is playing a part in the sorting-out process.

“I had an email from Tony Williams at the English National Football Archive, querying a goal credited as a Shay Brennan own goal,” said the author of many Wolves books.

“He wondered if it should be a Norman Deeley goal and, as I still have my scrapbooks for that season, I found the Sporting Star report by Phil Morgan and it seems pretty clear it should have been one for Norman. There was no suggestion of Brennan being involved.

“The bottom line is that I reckon Norman should have 76 Wolves goals to his name, rather than 75, but the ENFA apparently have about 1,500 queries over scorers going back to the start of League football!”

Various of those question marks relate to other matches from Wolves’ past, so we might be revisiting this subject in the coming months.

No mention of a defender’s intervention.

A look at the Goal Aces section of this website shows that Deeley is the 19th highest scorer in Molineux history and will be three behind 18th-placed Terry Wharton even if he is belatedly awarded this extra goal, despatched by United’s amateur keeper Mike Pinner.

The effort against United will also make him the club’s fourth top marksman for 1960-61 – a campaign in which he currently stands alongside Cliff Durandt on eight goals, behind Ted Farmer (28), Jimmy Murray (25) and Peter Broadbent (14).

Athletic career

Instead of joining the West Bromwich Albion club, loved by his father , Norman Deeley was hired by rival Wolverhampton Wanderers when he was a schoolboy , and at the age of only 16 he made his first games on the reserve team. Before that, he had already drawn attention to himself in the national school team and with a height of just over 1.30 meters he only appeared to be “lost among giants”, as he compensated for this deficiency with technical skills. In December 1950 he signed his first professional contract with the "Wolves" and as a right wing runner , who was Deeley at the beginning of his career, he made his debut in August 1951 on the occasion of a 2-1 home win against Arsenal . There followed sporadic appearances in the first team, including some as a half-striker , before he contributed a little to winning the English championship with six league games after completing military service in the 1953/54 season .

At 4: 4 in the Charity Shield game against West Bromwich Albion, Deeley scored the first goal for the professional team in August 1954 and he still looked a bit exotic due to his small size. The long-term perspective also seemed vague, as coach Stan Cullis wanted his team to show a special physical presence in the games. At the end of the 1956/57 season, Deeley worked his way up to the first team and showed great willingness to run on the left flank. During the summer tour through South Africa shortly thereafter, he finally came to the fore and celebrated his breakthrough in the 1957/58 season on the right wing position - the departures of the veteran Johnny Hancocks and Harry Hooper , who had fallen out of favor with Cullis , had left the right-wing outpost vacant . Deeley scored 23 goals, was the team's second best scorer behind center forward Jimmy Murray and won the English championship . Equipped with an above-average game intelligence, Deeley and his friend and also technically skilled Peter Broadbent were the starting point for the fast building game to do this, he formed a "wing pliers" with the experienced left winger Jimmy Mullen . In the following season Deeley defended the league title with the Wolves , especially in 1959 he often dodged Mullen to the left. At the height of his creative power, during a tour of South America in May 1959, he also played two A-internationals for England , but they ended up with 0: 2 (against Brazil in the Maracanã Stadium ) and 1: 4 (against Peru in the Estadio Nacional ) both were lost and caused coach Walter Winterbottom to forego Deeley in the future.

Deeley narrowly missed a third English championship title with the Wolverhampton Wanderers in the 1959/60 season . But he contributed two goals in the FA Cup final to the 3-0 final victory against Blackburn Rovers and Deeley was considered a decisive player in several respects, as he beat the opposing Dave Whelan in the 43rd minute when the score was 1-0 the leg broke and the Rovers were severely disadvantaged - substitutions were not yet allowed at this time. In the season 1960/61 Deeley came for the fourth time in a row on a double-digit goal yield, but slowly the best time was coming to an end. In February 1962, he fell victim to extensive changes in the team and moved to Leyton Orient in London .

With the new club Deeley succeeded in the remaining games of promotion to the top English division, but in his last season 1962/63 as a professional he could not prevent the direct return to the second division. His last stops were in the lower leagues of Worcester City (162 competitive appearances, 44 goals), the Bromsgrove Rovers and Darlaston FC, where he ended his active career in 1974. Deeley then worked at the Caldmore Community Center in Walsall and lived in Wednesbury, the town of his birth, until his death in September 2007 .

Sunday, 25 November 2012

Oldest in the World

Our speaker on Tuesday night (27 November) is Duncan Close from Sanquhar, who will be telling us a bit about the oldest post office in the world.

The Sanquhar post office had long been accepted as the oldest in Britain It has been operating since 1712 and is now reckoned to be the oldest in the world..
At the time the post office started, the Crowns of England and Scotland had not long been united. There was considerable activity in the border areas of both lands and one of the most important and influential families of the day was the Crichton family, who owned Sanquhar Castle.
In 1712 a service known as the "Nithsdale cross-post" was established, with mail-runners on horseback delivering messages among the landed gentry on both sides of the Scottish-English border.
When Robert Burns was alive in the latter part of the 18th century, he was great friends with the owner of Sanquhar post office, and the fireplace in the living room of the building was constructed from elm trees grown by Burns at his farm at Ellisland Farm, near Dumfries.

Come along on Tuesday night and learn more.

Thursday, 6 December 2012

Kilmarnock Periodicals

Kilmarnock Periodicals (1815 – 1900) is one of the Burns Monument Centre’s Special Collections.

This is an almost complete collection of the periodicals printed in Kilmarnock from 1816 to 1900 (it also includes The Ayrshire Magazine and West Country Monthly Repository, which was printed in Irvine in 1815).

The early periodicals in particular provide an interesting view of the town’s literary scene at the time. Most of them contain original poems, stories, essays and reviews by writers with some connection to the area. For example, the Kilmarnock Annual and Western Literary Annual (1835) contains two songs by John Galt.
Some of the main printers of the town ventured into periodical printing at some stage. For example, H. Crawford (who was the town’s next printer after John Wilson left for Ayr), printed The Ayrshire Miscellany from 1817. A little later, James McKie printed a few titles including The Ayrshire Inspirer (1839). D. Brown and Company, who printed lots of Burns books from the 1880s until the 1900s, produced the Burns-inspired Auld Killie (1893 – 1898).

The FitzGeralds of Carton House &ndash a deeply dysfunctional family: The Decline and Fall of the Dukes of Leinster

The foundations for this absorbing book were made possible with the discovery of a cache of letters written by Hermione Duncombe, the wife of Gerald FitzGerald, the fifth duke of Leinster (1851-1893).

One of Ireland’s premier aristocratic families, the FitzGeralds lived for almost 300 years in the Palladian mansion Carton House, outside Maynooth, in Co Kildare. Deposited in Somerset Record Office, Hermione’s letters have enabled Dooley, who has written extensively on the land question and the decline of Ireland’s big houses, to assess the private dimensions that accompanied the public crisis that afflicted the Anglo-Irish aristocracy in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, as social, economic and political change diluted its power, dominance and options.

The Decline and Fall of the Dukes of Leinster, 1872-1948: Love, war, debt and madness

Descended from the Anglo-Norman FitzGeralds, the family had been in Kildare since the early 13th century by the late 17th century it was established at the heart of Anglo-Irish affairs. But by the time Gerald came of age, in 1872, change was in the air, and over the next 50 years nationalist revolutions, in land and politics, the first World War and the Irish War of Independence were paralleled by the family’s private experience of what is trumpeted in the book’s subtitle as including “love, debt and madness”. The reality, however, is that there is precious little love on display this was a deeply dysfunctional family, destroyed by privilege and lack of love.

When Gerald became duke the Leinster estate was more than 28,000 hectares and yielded £40,000 in agricultural rents (£3 million in 2014 terms), but preoccupation with appearances and the desire to ensure continuity of the historic status of the FitzGeralds meant that “outward display was much more important than affordability”. Arrogant ambitions and snobbery generated large debts.

The estate was a large employer and of vital importance to the local economy, which itself created a hierarchy, with wealthier employees buying property, and the emergence of the “shopocracy”, alongside struggling tenants and lower-paid employees.

Their combined aspirations and frustrations ensured the period of Gerald’s dukedom “represented the twilight of paternalism and deference on the Leinster estate”. The emergence of the Leinster Tenants Defence Association in 1872 and controversy about leases dented the notion of the FitzGeralds as paternalistic, and borrowing on the collateral strength of the vast estate became problematic.

The narrative of these crises shifts to perhaps the most interesting part of this book, which covers Hermione’s desperate unhappiness in her marriage to Gerald (“he uses petty tyranny”) and her abject loneliness.

She summed up her misery in a letter to her sister: “I have nothing on which to expend my energy, no object or aim in life, no great interest”. Consumed with depression, what she called “the black dogs”, she yearned for diversion, which led to an affair with Hugo Charteris, a moody, gambling, cad, who treated her appallingly.

Scandalously, Hermione gave birth to their illegitimate son, Edward, in 1892, having already had two sons, Maurice and Desmond, with Gerald, though conveniently, as was then not particularly unusual, she slipped back into the marriage, and Gerald died a year later.

Dooley acknowledges gaps in the archival record many letters “throw up as many questions as they provide answers”, and he sometimes indulges in conjecture and pop psychology to imagine what drove Hermione. This is unnecessary, as whatever ambivalence exists is more than outweighed by the clarity of her despair and what she described as her moral blindness.

Revealingly, “in none of her letters did she make mention of her concerns for public matters or public duties”. Tuberculosis and death at the age of 30 followed.

Estate trustees were now required until Hermione’s eldest son, Maurice, reached his majority, in 1908, and the chief trustee was Gerald’s brother Lord Frederick, who left no personal papers behind but who was the last of the Kildare FitzGeralds to become a public representative, as a member of Kildare County Council.

With the Wyndham Act (1903), which facilitated state-funded transfer of estates to tenants, Frederick was also faced with the sale of the Leinster estate. Inevitably, there are also gaps in this narrative, because no estate rentals or accounts have survived, “nor is anything known about the actual decision-making process regarding the sale of the estate”. But there was great media interest in its sale for £754,000 (£73 million in today’s values), and it facilitated the ambitions of those farmers well placed to buy a new social standing.

After this the issue for the FitzGeralds, who retained the residential trappings of Carton House and its demesne, was how the capital sum from the estate’s sale could be invested to sustain a ducal lifestyle for generations. Dooley, with the assistance of the opinions of contemporary investment experts, is unimpressed that so much of the capital was invested in mortgages, but it seems dubious and unhistorical that he examines the portfolio in terms of good investment practice by today’s standards.

Dooley’s return to the private lives of the family is, however, once again fascinating, and less speculative. Maurice came of age with the ducal title but no vast estate. Profoundly affected by the loss of his mother, stricken with epilepsy and a victim of sexual abuse at school in Berkshire, he subsequently ended up in an asylum in Edinburgh following a nervous breakdown. Dooley uses a good range of sources to give an insight into his condition and the taboo around it throughout his confinement the focus of the trustees was on finances rather than his mental health. He died in 1922.

His younger brother, Desmond, had a very different experience. Educated at Eton and then Sandhurst, he was subsequently killed during the first World War, at Ypres. Edward, however, the seventh duke, was the “polar opposite of Desmond” there was great media interest in him, and he exploited fame for all it was worth, swindling money, signing promissory notes, facing regular bankruptcy proceedings and treating women cruelly. He was also introduced to Henry Mallaby-Deeley, “ an intrepid speculator”, who agreed to pay off his debts and pay him an allowance in return for Carton and the income from the estate.

Mallaby-Deely’s control over Carton was just as well he was “better for Carton than an impoverished and feckless heir would have been”, and feckless Edward certainly was – or, as he wrote in 1957, when he sold his life story to the Sunday Dispatch: “My road to ruin was the gay road – the road of mad parties, reckless friends and lovely women.” That road also involved four marriages, but “ruin” was relative.

In search of an heiress, Edward went to the US in 1932, married and became bankrupt for a third time, but he continued to live on an annual allowance of £1,000 from Mallaby-Deeley. He and his wife “could afford a butler, a cook, a housemaid, a between-maid, a Lady’s maid, a chauffeur and a part time secretary”. By 1965, however, the News of the World took pleasure in highlighting that he and his fourth wife were “living on baked beans” as they “dodged the creditors”. He lived until 1976.

Mallaby-Deeley was adversely affected by the Great Depression of the 1930s. His family decided in 1948, with the agreement of the trustees and Edward’s son Gerald, to sell Carton. Given the narcissism of so many of the characters in this book, it was perhaps an inevitable end to a fascinating saga, recounted with verve in this book.

Norman Deeley - History


In their 142 year history the England national football team have had a number of famous matches against South American opposition, most notably in World Cup finals games. In 1966 they drew 0-0 against Uruguay in their opening match before going on to win the tournament. 1970 saw Bobby Moore’s England lose 1-0 to Pele’s Brazil. In the 1986 quarter-final versus Argentina they succumed to the hand, and genius, of Diego Maradona and then 12 years later Beckham’s sending off and a penalty shootout loss against the same opposition in the last 16.

But against Peru their playing record is not so extensive. They’ve only played the La Blanquirroja (‘The White and Red’) only twice so far. But now a third game against Peru has now been confirmed. This will bring the team currently ranked 39 in the world to Wembley for a warm-up match for England prior to leaving for the United States where they will prepare for the finals tournament in Brazil with further friendlies against Ecuador and Honduras. The English FA were keen to test themselves against South and Central American opposition due to the fact that they are due to play Luis Suarez’s Uruguay in Sao Paulo on 19 th June following by Costa Rica in Belo Horizonte 5 days later. Although Uruguay are obviously a far superior team, holding 6 th place in the current FIFA rankings, it is thought that the meeting with Peru will bring useful experience against a team with a similar playing style and tempo.

The Peruvian national team are currently without a manager following the sacking of Sergio Markarian after finishing 7 th in the last South American World Cup qualifying tournament. This is despite an unexpected 3 rd place finish in the 2011 Copa American competition which was held in Argentina. A number of names have since been linked with the post, among them Diego Maradona and his fellow Argentinians Marcelo Bielsa, Sergio Batista and Julio Falconi. Home-grown candidates include the current coach of Peruvian Primera Division club Universidad Cesar Vallejo, Victor Rivera, and former Newcastle United winger Nolberto Solano.

Previous Meetings

The game on the 30 th May will be the first time in 52 years that the two countries have met and the first time on English soil. The two previous meetings took place took place in 1959 and 1962 and were both friendlies played in the Peruvian capital city of Lima. England had had a disappointing performance in the 1958 World Cup in Sweden having been knocked out in the group stage. However, they did manage to share the in 1959 Home International title with Ireland before leaving for a tour of the Americas at the end of the 1958-59 season.

The touring party was relatively inexperienced. The team was captained by 35 year-old Billy Wright of Wolves, who had won his 100 th England cap shortly before the tour. Only four other players had caps numbering in double-figures and three would make their international debuts during the tour. In their first game of the tour they lost 2-0 to Brazil in Rio de Janiero in front of a crowd of 160,000.

Peru had a decent side at the time and were ranked just outside the top 20. Earlier in 1959 they had managed 4 th place in the Copa America tournament and their team, with a mixture of youth and experience, had attracted much praise for its attractive play. They warmed up for the England game with friendlies against Lima club sides Union America, newly promoted to the Primera Division, and Ciclista Lima winning the former 1-0 thanks to a goal by Miguel Loayza and losing the second by the same score. The latter result brought much criticism by the Peruvian press who questioned whether the team’s players were really good enough to play against such an esteemed side as England and if the national side’s coach, the Hungarian Gyorgy Orth, was the right man for the job.

The game created much interest in the Peruvian media. Very few Peruvian households had television in those days and so the majority of the country got their information via newspapers. The England coach Walter Winterbottom spent two hours giving an exclusive interview to one newspaper in the Hotel Crillon, the England base during their stay in Lima. The 21 year-old Manchester United forward Bobby Charlton drew the most attention and commented that he expected a difficult game as it would be played outside of England and expressed concern that he would be up against a good defender in “Mr Benitez”. The game was played on 17 th May, a Sunday, and over 50,000 spectators turned up at the National Stadium to watch.

England made one change from their game versus Brazil with 19 year-old inside forward Jimmy Greaves of Chelsea replacing Peter Broadbent of Wolves to make his international debut. The England team thus lined up as: Eddie Hopkinson (Bolton Wanderers) – GK, Don Howe (West Bromwich Albion), Jimmy Armfield (Blackpool), Ronnie Clayton (Blackburn Rovers), Billy Wright (Wolverhampton Wanderers) – Captain, Ron Flowers (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Norman Deeley (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Jimmy Greaves (Chelsea), Johnny Haynes (Fulham), Albert Holden (Bolton Wanderers), Bobby Charlton (Manchester United). Both Armfield and Deeley were winning only their 2 nd caps, Holden his 4 th and Flowers his 6 th . The team lined up in Winterbottom’s favourite 3-2-5, or WM, formation with Armfield and Howe at fullback, Wright at centre-half and Flowers and Clayton and midfield. Charlton was the centre forward with Greaves and Haynes as inside forwards and Deeley and Holden as outside rights.

The Peru team was Rafael Asca (Sporting Cristal) – GK & Captain, Willy Flemming (Deportivo Municipal), Victor Benitez (Alianza Lima), Jose Fernandez (Universitario), Isaac Andrade (Sport Boys), Juan de la Vega (Alianza Lima), Oscar Montalvo (Deportivo Municipal), Miguel Loayza (Ciclista Lima), Juan Joya (Alianza Lima), Jose Carrasco (Deportivo Municipal), Juan Seminario (Deportivo Municipal). Peru coach Orth also used a 2-3-5 formation with Flemming and Fernandez flanking Benitez at the back and Andrade and de la Vega in Midfield. Up front Joya was the centre forward with Loayza and Montalvo to his right and Carrasco and Seminario to his left.

The game was referred by Erwin Hieger. Hieger was born in Austria and referred in the Austrian League before emigrating to Peru in the mid 1950s. He took charge of a number of matches in the 1957 Copa America under Austrian nationality but had become a Peruvian citizen by the time he referred in the 1968 Olympic football tournament.

Peru started the game very brightly and Howe and Armfield found it very difficult to cope with the movement of Seminario and Montalvo. The former opened the scoring in the 10 th minute and then added a second five minutes before half-time. Debutant Greaves, who had finished as the First Division top-scorer with 32 goals in the season just ended, pulled a goal back in the 58 th minute but Joya restored the two-goal lead nine minutes later. Seminario would complete his hat-trick after 80 minutes to make the final score 4-1 to Peru. Despite his three goals Seminario was actually criticized by certain members of the Peruvian media for his greedy play. Jose Fernandez was named man of the match with high praise also being received by both Montalvo and Loayza.

England had decided to wear a blue shirt for the game, for the first time since their disastrous 1-0 defeat to the United States in Belo Horizonte during the 1950 World Cup in Brazil. As a result of this thrashing the blue shirt has never been worn again by England. Each of the Peruvian players received a sum of 4500 sols for their performance against England. 2500 sols of this was received as salary from the Peruvian Football Federation with the remaining 2000 sols been paid as prize money by the local drinks manufactuer Backus and Johnston. England’s defeat resulted in much delight in Peru but much criticism back in London. Sam Leitch, the famous broadcaster and journalist, wrote in the Evening Standard “Imagine that indignity that Peru, playing with four good players and seven ballet dancers, and sponsered by a brewery, made England look like a panting novice.”

Norman Deeley’s poor performance against Peru meant that he never played for England again and Albert Holden won only one more cap, in England’s next fixture away to Mexico which they also lose, 2-1. England would finish their tour of the Americas with an 8-1 thrashing of the United States with Charlton getting a hat-trick in what would be Billy Wright’s 105 th , and last, England cap but overall the tour was considered to be a disaster.

As a result of their performances against England a number of the Peru team earned moves abroad. Victor Benitez was signed by Boca Juniors of Argentina in 1960 and then 8 years in Italy’s Serie A played for, amongst others, both Milan clubs and AS Roma. Juan Joya also moved to Argentina in 1960 to join River Plate and then spent 8 years with Penarol of Uruguay. Shortly after the England game 20 year-old Miguel Loayza was signed by Spanish giants Barcelona but only managed 10 games, scoring 4 times, before returning to South America in 1961 to join Boca Juniors. He then played for 5 other Argentinian clubs, including River Plate, before finishing his playing career with Colombian side Deportivo Cali. Hat-trick hero Juan Seminario earned a move to Sporting Lisbon of Portugal before joining Real Zaragoza of Spain. His 33 goals in the 1961-62 season brought him to the attention of Serie A club Fiorentina. He returned to Spain in 1964 to play for first Barcelona and then CE Sabadell before finishing his career back in Peru.

At the time the Peruvian FA refused to select players who played outside of Peru for their national team and so Seminario, Benitez, Loayza and Joya never appeared for the Peruvian national team again after the England game although Juan Joya later played one game for Uruguay. Other players moved abroad a few years later. Isaac Andrade played for various clubs in Argentina between 1962 and 1969, Oscar Montalvo played for Deportivo La Coruna in Spain in the mid 1960s. They would also end their international careers with these moves. The Peru team of the 1960s could easily have rivaled those of the 1930s and 1970s had all these players been able to represent their country but as it was they failed to make much of an impression during that decade.

In May 1962 England returned to Lima for a second international game against Peru which would act as a warm-up to the World Cup which was to be held in neighbouring Chile shortly afterwards. Walter Winterbottom was still in charge of the England team and a number of players from the 1959 game were still present – Jimmy Armfield, Ron Flowers, Jimmy Greaves, Johnny Haynes and Bobby Charlton. The full England line-up was: Ron Springett (Sheffield Wednesday) – GK, Jimmy Armfield (Blackpool), Ray Wilson (Huddersfield Town), Bobby Moore (West Ham United), Maurice Norman (Tottenham Hotspur), Ron Flowers (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Bryan Douglas (Blackburn Rovers), Jimmy Greaves (Tottenham Hotspur), Gerry Hitchens (Inter Milan), Johnny Haynes (Fulham) – Captain, Bobby Charlton (Manchester United). Both Moore and Norman were making their England debuts.

This time England played with a 4-2-4 formation which was much in fashion at that time. The fullbacks were Armfield and Wilson with Moore and Norman, the debutants, at centre-half. Charlton and Flowers made up the midfield and up front were Douglas on the wing, Hitchens at centre-forward with Greaves and Haynes as inside forwards outside him.

This was the first senior international for the Peruvian national team since losing to Colombia in the South American qualifiers the previous May and six players made their Peru debut versus England – Guzman, Bazan, Lobaton, Mosquera, Zevallos, Zegarra. Donayre won his 2 nd Peru cap, nine years after his 1 st . The team was coached, for the first time, by the Brazilian Jaime de Almeyda who was also the manager of Alianza Lima at the time. To warm up for the England game Peru had played two friendlies against Spanish club Real Zaragoza who featured Juan Seminario, hat-trick hero from the 1959 game and reigning La Liga top-scorer, in their side. They also had another Peruvian in their ranks, veteran defender Guillermo Delgado. Seminario scored twice in a 4-1 Zaragoza win in the first game but Peru won 3-1 in the second.

The Peru team was: Rodolfo Bazan (Alianza Lima) – GK, Willy Flemming (Deportivo Municipal), Adolfo Donayre (Alianza Lima), Rodolfo Guzman (Alianza Lima), Juan de la Vega (Alianza Lima) – captain, Manuel Grimaldo (Alianza Lima), Víctor Zegarra (Alianza Lima), Nicolas Nieri (Sporting Cristal), Hugo Lobaton (Sporting Cristal), Alejandro Zevallos (Centro Iqueno), Oscar Montalvo (Deportivo Municipal). Later on in the game Humberto Arguedas of Universitario would replace de la Vega and Nemesio Mosquera, also of Universitario, replaced Zegarra. Flemming, de la Vega and Montalvo remained from the previous meeting in 1959.

De Almeyda had hoped to include Guillermo Delgado and Juan Seminario from the touring Real Zaragoza, who had agreed to release them, as well as other Peruvians playing overseas such as Juan Joya and Miguel Loayza but was refused permission to do so by the Peruvian FA. They argued that they had to take into account the long-term future of the national side and not consider the result of just one game.

The game, at 3:45 pm on the 20 th May at the National Stadium in Lima, was attended by around 32,000 spectators. The referee, as for the game 3 years previously, was Erwin Hieger. England played far better than in 1959 and the young debutant centre-halfs Moore and Norman were rarely troubled despite the good play from Montalvo and Zegarra in the Peruvian attack. After quarter of an hour England were awarded a penalty which was converted by Flowers. Greaves then scored a hat-trick between the 24 th and 40 th minute giving England a 4-0 half-time lead. The England forwards continued to torment the Peruvian defence in the second half and nly a fine performance by Bazan in the Peru goal prevented further English goals. After the game the England team attended a reception at the Lima Cricket club hosted by local English residents. They then left for the World Cup in Chile where they would be defeated in the quarter-finals by eventual champions Brazil.

Expatriate players

Nolberto Solano is by far the most succesful Peruvian player to have plied his trade in the English leagues. After moving from Boca Juniors to Newcastle United in 1998 to became the first ever Peruvian to appear for an English club he made 240 appearances, scoring 45 goals, in two highly succesful spells with the Tyneside club punctuated by a season with Aston Villa where he finished as the club’s player of the season.

After leaving Newcastle he spent a season with West Ham United before leaving for short stints in Greece with Larissa and back home in Peru with Universitario. In 2010 he returned to the English game when he signed for Leicester City and later that year moved to Hull City before finished his career at Hartlepoool United. During the latter part of his time at Hartlepool he also combined his playing career with coaching duties at Northern League side Newcastle Benfield.

In 2000 Ysrael Zuniga became the 2 nd Peruvian to play in England when he joined Coventry City, then of the Premier League, for £750,000 in January 2000 following a very debut succesful season with FBC Melgar of Arequipa in which he scored 32 goals. Zuniga was almost joined at Coventry by his Melgar team-mate Walter Zeballos but that transfer broke down due to passport problems.

During the 2 nd half of the 1999-2000 season Zuniga scored two goals, against Bradford City and Sheffield Wednesday, in 6 games. The following season he found the net only once in 15 league appearances, against Manchester United at Highfield Road, and Coventry ended up relegated. Another goal came in the League Cup away to Preston North End. In total he managed only 4 goals in 30 appearances with the Midlands club before moving to Estudiantes of Argentina.

On 1 st July 2007 two more Peruvian footballers moved to England – Claudio Pizarro and Miguel Mostto. Striker Claudio Pizarro had spent a number of succesful seasons playing in the Bundesliga scoring 100 goals in 240 games with first Werder Bremen and then Bayern Munich before joining Chelsea on a free transfer. He got off to a promising start, scoring on his Premier League debut as Chelsea beat Birmingham City 3-2 at Stamford Bridge.

However, following Jose Mourinho’s replacement by Avram Grant Pizarro fell out of favour and moved further down the striking pecking order after Chelsea signed Nicholas Anelka in January 2008. He managed only one other goal in Chelsea colours, also against Birmingham City in the return match at St. Andrews. He finished with a record of 2 goals in 31 appearances, the majority of them as substitute. The following season he returned to Werder Bremen for a very succesful loan spell and re-signed for them permanantly in 2009.

Miguel Mostto finished at the top scorer in the Peruvian Primera Division in both 2005 and 2006 scoring 18 and 22 goals respectively. His goalscoring exploits resulted in him being signed by Championship side Barnsley for a fee in the region of £350,000-£400,000. His only goal in 14 appearances during the 2007-08 season came with a second-half equaliser at home to Burnley in October. In January 2008 he was allowed to join Peruvian club Coronel Bolognesi for the rest of the season. The following season Mostto struggled with personel problems as a result of his young son’s serious illness and homesickness because his family had stayed in Peru. Barnsley allowed him to go back to Peru for a short period to deal with these matters but he returned briefly to England and scored his second goal for the club in the home match versus Watford in November. In January 2009 he returned to Peru permanently when he joined Total Chalaco.

The last Peruvian to appear for an English club, up till now, was Diego Penny. Unlike the previous players, who were all forwards, Penny was a goalkeeper. After making 180 appearances for Coronel Bolognesi from the southern Peruvian city of Tacna between 2004 and 2008, during which time he was also called up for the national team, the 24 year-old Penny signed for Championship side Burnley. He made his debut for Burnley in the opening game of the 2008-09 season but a 4-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday resulted in him losing his position to Brian Jensen for the rest of the season. Burnley ended the season by being promoted to the Premier League via the playoffs.

Penny made his only top-flight appearance when he replaced the injured Jensen after 15 minutes in the home game against Wigan Athletic in October 2009. The score was 1-1 at that time but Burnley would go on to lose 3-1. This would be his last appearance for the Lancashire club although he had also played 2 games in the League Cup earlier that season. He started the 2 nd Round tie against Hartlepool United, which Burnley won 2-1, and again replaced the injured Brian Jensen, this time in the 34 th minute, in the 3-2 defeat away to Barnsley in the following round. He left Burnley by mutual consent at the start of the following season following their relegation from the Premier League and signed for Peruvian club Juan Aurich a short time later.

Like Penny, Mark Cook was also a goalkeeper. He started his career at Newcastle United playing for their youth and reserve teams. Nolberto Solano was also on Newcastle’s books at that time but would shortly leave the club for West Ham United. After leaving Newcastle United, Cook ended up at non-league club Harrogate Town. Meanwhile in June 2012 Solano started his managerial career with his former club Universitario from Lima, one of the big three clubs of Peruvian football. His first signing for Universitario was his old team-mate Cook who arrived in Lima to much attention from both the Peruvian and English media, and elsewhere. Cook was the first, and so far only, English player to appear in the Peruvian league in the professional era.

Cook made his Universitario debut in the 1-0 home defeat against Sport Huancayo at the beginning of September. His 2 nd game for the La “U” came two weeks later in Moquegua when the home team Cobresol were victorious 3-0. An injury to his finger then prevented Cook from making further appearances. Universitario’s poor performances in the Second Stage of the Torneo Decentralizado led to Nolberto Solano’s sacking and Cook left the club to return to England shortly afterwards.

English involvement in the early football history of Peru

There is much debate about exactly who introduced football to Peru. Some sources claim that it was English sailors who were responsible during their visits to Callao, at that time a very important trading port, in the late 19 th century by. The sailors would arrange kick-abouts between themselves and the local residents, known as Chalacos.

Others say that it was young Peruvians, or the offspring of English immigrants living in Peru, who brought the game back with them when they returned home after studying in England. Alejandro Garland (1852-1912) was a Peruvian-born writer and economist with an English father and an education gained in England and Germany who, in the early 1870s, tried to organise football games in a small park between the Exhibition Palace and the prison known as the Lima Panopticon. However, this was met with little enthusiasm, even amongst those locals who had also been educated in England, and after the War of the Pacific, fought between a united Peru/Bolivia and Chile broke out in 1879 participation in all sporting activities were halted.

English residents in Lima had already formed a number of sports clubs by that time with some sources claiming that the Lima Cricket and Football club was founded in 1859. Although football was part of the club’s sporting program it’s main focus was cricket. Similar clubs with an emphasis on other sports but with some involvement in football emerged later on. Regatas Lima, formed in 1875, was mainly focused on rowing whilst Lawn Tennis (1884) was the second oldest tennis club in the Americas. Ciclista Lima (1896) was initially only interested in cycling but introduced football into its program following the merger with the Association Football Club (1897) in 1917.

The first documented football match to be played in Peru took place on 7 th August, 1892 at Santa Sofia, a playing field close to the Jose Pardo Institute which belonged to the Lima Cricket and Football club. The game involved residents of Callao, captained by a Mr. Foulkes and a team representing Lima, captained by Pedro Larranaga. The teams were mostly made up of English residents with the remainder being Peruvians. According to some sources the result of the match was 1-1 with neither side finishing with eleven players. In 1895 an “international” match was played between a team made up from Peruvian and English residents of Lima and a team from the crew of the British cruiser HMS Leander. The latter team won 5-0 in front of a crowd of 3000. Similar matches also took place over the next few years.

Jack Greenwell, from Crook in County Durham, began his playing career with his home-town club Crook Town. In 1909 he played for West Auckland during their victorious campaign in the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy tournament, often refered to as “the first World Cup”. He then played for, and managed, Barcelona before managing numerous other Spanish clubs. When the Spanish Civil War broke out in 1939 he fled briefly to Turkey before moving to Peru where he became the manager of both Universitario de Deportes, who won their 3 rd Campeonato Peruano title in 1939 and the Peruvian national team.

The 1939 Copa America was held in Peru in January and February of that year with all games taking place at the National Stadium in Lima. Prior to the tournament four teams – Colombia, Bolivia, Argentina and Brazil – withdrew leaving only five participants – the hosts Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Ecuador, who made their Copa America debut. The tournament format was that of a single round-robin schedule where all teams played each other only once.

Peru’s first game was against the debutants Ecuador and they won easy 5-2 thanks to a hat-trick by Teodoro Fernandez, managed by Greenwell at Universitario, and two goals from Jorge Alcalde of Sport Boys from Callao. In their second game, against their bitter rivals Chile, Greenwell used an attacking 2-3-5 formation and Peru won 3-1 with two more goals by Fernandez and another by Alcalde. The same scoring pattern was repeated in the 3-0 victory over Paraguay.

In their final match Peru had to play Uruguay, the strongest South American side at that time. Both teams had 100% records and so the game would decide the title. In front of a full- capacity crowd of 40,000 spectators Peru opening the scoring through Alcalde in the 7 th minute then Victor Bielich added a second after 35 minutes. Uruguay pulled one back just before half-time but Peru hung on to record their first ever Copa America title. Not long afterwards Greenwell moved to Colombia where he coached a number of clubs before dying there from a heart attack in 1942 aged 58.

Published: 09:50 BST, 26 November 2014 | Updated: 11:54 BST, 26 November 2014


Sportsmail's nostalgic picture series Golden Years features the humble bus this week, with a fabulous new set of photographs from across the decades.

We begin with Motherwell players celebrating at Hampden Park in the 1950s, and take you all the way through to Sir Alex Ferguson's farewell to football in 2013.

We feature many famous names and teams here, and some surprising images too, like AC Milan players walking across a muddy Irish car park and former Liverpool manager Bob Paisley on Manchester United's team coach.

Please feel free to share any of your own memories in the comments section beneath this article, and we'll return next week with more nostalgia.

Here's a picture of a triumphant Motherwell team leaving Hampden Park after claiming victory in the 1952 Scottish Cup final. A crowd of 136,274 saw Motherwell claim a 4-0 win over Dundee, with goals from Jimmy Watson, Willie Redpath, Wilson Humphries and Archie Kelly

Above, Newcastle players ready to board their team bus in April, 1952. Below, Jackie Milburn and Bobby Mitchell arriving at Wembley the following month for the FA Cup final against Arsenal. Newcastle won 1-0, thanks to a late winner from Chilean forward George Robledo

Celtic pair Bobby Collins and Bobby Evans show the League Cup to their fans as they parade on an open-topped bus through the streets of Glasgow in 1956. After a 0-0 draw in the first match against Partick Thistle, Celtic won 3-0 in the replay, with Collins scoring the first goal

Manchester City's German goalkeeper Bert Trautmann resting on the team bus after complaining of rheumatic pains in his neck during training in Eastbourne ahead of the 1955 FA Cup final against Newcastle. A year later, the great Trautmann famously played on at Wembley despite having broken his neck in the FA Cup final win over Birmingham

Another open-topped bus tour here, this time through the streets of Wolverhampton. Wolves stars Bill Slater and Gerry Harris show off the FA Cup in 1960. They comfortably beat Blackburn 3-0 in the final at Wembley, with two of their goals coming from Norman Deeley

Leicester defender Len Chalmers hobbles aboard the team bus helped by his wife, Joy, following the 1961 FA Cup final loss to Tottenham. Chalmers was seen as a hero by Leicester fans after playing 80 minutes of the final despite suffering a broken leg after 20 minutes

Here's a picture of the Tottenham team bus leaving the club's White Hart Lane home in 1962. This was a golden period in their history, with Spurs winning a league and cup Double in 1961, the FA Cup in 1962 and then the European Cup-Winners' Cup in 1963

Celtic players Bobby Murdoch, Bobby Lennox, Stevie Chalmers, and their manager Jock Stein (left), are boarding the team bus for the first leg of the journey to Bermuda for an end of season break in 1966. The following year, Chalmers scored a late winner for Celtic as they memorably beat Inter Milan in the European Cup final in Lisbon

Aston Villa players are ready to board the team bus outside Villa Park in 1971. Left to right: Brian Godfrey, Dave Gibson, Bruce Rioch, Andy Lochhead, Brian Tiler, John Dunn, Fred Turnbull, Jimmy Brown, John Wright, Pat McMahon, Ian Hamilton, Dave Anderson, Charlie Aitken, Keith Bradley and Lew Chatterley

West Germany captain Franz Beckenbauer signs his autograph for a traffic warden as his team arrive to play England in a friendly in 1975. The legendary Beckenbauer made 103 appearances for the Germans, between 1965 and 1977. England claimed a 2-0 over the world champions in that 1975 Wembley clash, with goals from Colin Bell and Malcolm Macdonald

These Fulham players John Mitchell, Bobby Moore, Alan Mullery and Viv Busby look optimistic as they prepare to board the team bus to Sheffield for the 1975 FA Cup semi-final against Birmingham at Hillsborough. The game finished in a 1-1 draw, with Mitchell on target for the Londonders. Fulham then won the replay 1-0 at Maine Road, Mitchell scoring their winner in the last minute of extra-time

An unlikely scene here, with AC Milan players leaving their team bus and making their way across a muddy car park at St Mel's Park to take on Athlone Town in a UEFA Cup match in 1975. The Irish outfit claimed a memorable 0-0 draw in the first leg of this second-round tie - with John Minnock missing a penalty for the hosts - but Milan won the second encounter 3-0 at the San Siro

Bolton's team bus is driven through the town centre to celebrate Division Two title success in 1978. Pictured left to right at the front of the bus are Jim McDonagh, Roy Greaves, Sam Allardyce, Mike Walsh and Frank Worthington. Many years later, Allardyce would manage Bolton

Paul Mariner stands in front of the Ipswich team bus in 1981. The England forward was with the Suffolk club for eight memorable years, between 1976 and 1984, helping them to win the FA Cup in 1978 and the UEFA Cup in 1981. In 1984, Mariner moved to Arsenal

Quite a picture here, with Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson, captain Bryan Robson and former Liverpool boss Bob Paisley on the United team coach travelling to Anfield for a Division One clash on Boxing Day, 1986. After a bitter encounter between the two giants at Anfield earlier that year - Liverpool supporters sprayed United players with ammonia as they left their team bus before the game - Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish asked Paisley to travel with the United team in an attempt to ensure a more peaceful atmosphere

West Germany defender Andreas Brehme holds the World Cup trophy in his arms as the German team bus leaves Rome's Olympic Stadium in 1990. Brehme's late penalty against Argentina gave the Germans a 1-0 win in the final, their third World Cup triumph

Manchester United players celebrate on a bus through the streets of the city following their unforgettable Treble triumph in 1999. United had already won the Premier League and FA Cup when they scored two goals in stoppage time to stun Bayern Munich and win the European Cup at the Nou Camp. Teddy Sheringham, who scored United's equaliser on that heady night, is among those pictured here

A picture that tells at least a thousand words here, with a disconsolate Alan Shearer on England's team bus as it arrives back in the country following a disappointing performance at Euro 2000 in Belgium and Holland. Shearer scored England's winner in their 1-0 victory over old rivals Germany, but defeat against both Portugal and Romania meant a group stage exit for Kevin Keegan's men

Military personnel are on guard here as Ireland's team bus, with Gary Breen and Jason McAteer among those on board, leaves a training session in South Korea at the 2002 World Cup. Ireland exited the World Cup at the second round stage, beaten by Spain on penalties

Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United players on a bus outside Old Trafford in May 2013. After 27 incredible years in charge at Old Trafford, Ferguson retired having led United to their 20th league title, his 13th as manager

Old Gold | 60 years on: Wolves’ 1960 FA Cup victory

It was the eighth time a Wolves side had taken part in England’s showpiece football event and hopes were high on Wolves claiming their fourth FA Cup title in what was a golden era for the club.

Favourites heading into the final, Wolves had won the league title in the previous two seasons and had only been denied a third successive championship during the 1959/60 season by a single point to Burnley.

While their opposition, Blackburn Rovers, had not had a great year, finishing 17 th in their second campaign back in the top-flight. Wolves had also won both league games which had taken place between the sides during the season a 3-1 victory at Molineux and a 1-0 success at Ewood Park.

The 1960 final was one of the warmest cup finals recorded at the time, with many spectators having to be treated for fainting.

This led to the game being played at a steady pace, meaning the final wasn’t the most memorable spectacle in the world – especially for the neutrals watching on their TVs at home.


Wolves’ long haul to Wembley began with a difficult third round tie against Newcastle United at St James’ Park which ended in a 2-2 draw, but Stan Cullis’ side were victorious 4-2 in the Molineux replay.

A one-sided affair against Charlton Athletic followed, before Wolves travelled to relegation-threatened Luton Town, ending in a final score of 4-1 to the Wanderers.

The quarter final paired Wolves and Leicester City at Filbert Street which the visitors overcame by two goals to one.

The semi-final was an all-West Midlands affair, as Norman Deeley’s goal secured a 1-0 win against Aston Villa at The Hawthorns.

Blackburn needed to overcome three replays to make it to the final, eventually beating Sunderland at Ewood Park, before reaching the fifth round with a 3-0 win against Blackpool.

A shock win over Tottenham Hotspur was followed by victory against heated rivals Burnley, securing Blackburn a place in the semi-finals.

The last-four tie, at Maine Road, ended in a 2-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday.


Blackburn Rovers 0 Wolves 3 (McGrath OG 41, Deeley 67, 88)

Celebrations rang around the gold and black half of the Black Country as Wolves lifted their fourth FA Cup trophy at Wembley thanks to a dominant final drubbing of Blackburn Rovers.

After a slow start to the game, Wolves began to gain control of the contest and seemed most likely to open the scoring, but it was Blackburn who had the first real chance when Bryan Douglas fired just wide of Malcolm Finlayson’s near post.

Finlayson was also called into action just before half time when he acrobatically denied a Peter Dobing effort, but it was Wolves who took the lead moments later when Barry Stobart delivered a teasing cross that Mick McGrath turned past his own goalkeeper.

Blackburn suffered a further setback just two minutes later when Dave Whelan was stretchered off the pitch and taken to hospital after suffering a broken leg following a challenge with Deeley.

Half-time: Blackburn Rovers 0 Wolves 1

Blackburn started the second-half strongly, but Wolves doubled their lead after 67 minutes. From a corner, Des Horne played a short ball to Ron Flowers, whose cross came back off a defender, but Flowers returned the ball to Horne and his cross ran through for Deeley to slam it into the net from close range.

Horne missed a great chance himself to make it three for Wolves when he was put through with just Blackburn keeper Harry Leyland to beat, but he failed to make proper contact and screwed the ball wide, while Flowers had a goal ruled out for offside shortly after.

Two minutes from the end, Blackburn’s misery was complete as Leyland missed Stobart’s cross and Deeley was there to ram the ball into the roof of the net.

Full-time: Blackburn Rovers 0 Wolves 3

Blackburn: Leyland, Bray, Whelan, Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Bimpson, Dobing, Dougan, Douglas, MacLeod.

Wolves: Finlayson, Showell, Harris, Clamp, Slater, Flowers, Deeley, Stobart, Murray, Broadbent, Horne.

Referee: Kevin Howley

Attendance: 98,954

When Wolves captain Bill Slater went up to receive the trophy, he was greeted by a crescendo of boos and jeers by the Blackburn supporters following the first-half injury to Whelan.

As Cullis took his players off the pitch, Rovers’ fans vented their displeasure by showering the Wolves players with orange peels, apple cores, stale sandwiches, plastic cups and general rubbish.

After being presented with the cup, Slater said: “We are terribly sorry about the injury to Whelan which was a most unfortunate accident. It took the edge of the game, but I felt we were making progress and just getting on top when it happened.

“Perhaps this latest occurrence will add weight to the case for substitutes to be allowed in the final. Blackburn played pluckily despite their great handicap.”

The story of Wolves' 1960 FA Cup final glory continues with:

prepared by Andy Christensen

Millard Military School

In 1953, Colonel Homer Millard and his wife, Esther, opened the Millard Military School on Langlois Mountain. It was patterned after the Millard School that had been in Washington, D.C. In 1962, the school was moved to Bradley Lake in Bandon due to the increasing number of students. Colonel Millard died that year and Esther continued to deliver her quality education for another 19 years. The last class to graduate from the Millard School in Bandon was in 1981. Esther died in 2006 at the age of 96.

The Millard School on Langlois Mountain pre-1962. That site, along with the restored buildings, became “Langlois Mountain Retreat” and later "Highland Woods Group Getaway". Those of you who attended prior to the move will recognize some of the buildings at the above site. Some of you apparently penned your names on a wall in one of the bulidings this has been preserved behind a plexiglas shield. Notice the shield on the flagpole. This shield is presently at the Bandon Historical museum.

Randall Holloway identified the class photo as the class of 1961. He also said that “R House” (seen in the photo of names etched on the wall) stood for “recreation house” and the dog’s name in the top picture was “Benno”.Thanks Randall!

Esther Millard is seen in the photo addressing dignitaries at the school. Notice the cannon which Mrs. Millard donated to our museum. This is the same cannon seen in the color photo sitting in the museum. Because of the weight of the cannon, we have it on display in the gift shop which has a concrete floor (the other floors in the museum would not support its weight). This cannon was manufactured in 1859 by the French. It was captured in the Franco-Prussian War by the Germans. Its only link to Bandon history is its appearance at the Millard School. We think it is a beautiful piece of history and are grateful to Mrs. Millard for donating it to the Bandon Historical Society.

Bill Marvel, Millard class of 1965 has authored a very interesting booklet detailing the story titled The Millard School and Foundation and can be viewed by clicking the link on the title.

Ric Lewallen, Millard class of 1971, also has created several web pages devoted to the Millard School and the students that attended it. You can view those pages by clicking on this Millard Prep School LINK .

The Millards had quite an impact on the lives of many young people throughout their tenure at the Millard School. The Bandon Historical Society often gets emails from former students who attest to their positive influence. Homer and Esther are both interred in the Willamette National Cemetery in Portland, Oregon.

The following listing contains names that the Bandon Historical Society has obtained from various sources. Where possible, the year of expected graduation has been included. If you would like your name added to this list, please contact Museum's Executive Director. If there is a correction needed on these pages, please contact the webmaster.

Additional Photos we have received from various sources can be seen at the following link: ADDITIONAL PHOTOS

Watch the video: Stephen Graham TIME interview (May 2022).