We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic Monument is a historic landmark located in Los Angeles, California.There are 27 historic buildings, built during the 18th century and clustered around an old plaza, each building with its own intriguing stories about its people and its ethnicity.The pueblo was created under the order of King Carlos III of Spain, in 1781.In 1821, Mexico declared her independence from Spain, claiming Los Angeles as their own. After the Mexican-American war in 1846, the United States troops took over the city.As the population grew it gradually started losing the old customs and traditions. This resulted in the declination of the heritage of pueblo area.The historical buildings were protected by the efforts of Christine Sterling who cherished the Spanish and Mexican heritage of the city. Among those the city's oldest landmark, Avila Adobe, was also protected from demolition.The four buildings in the group are restored as museums. The buildings also have various architectural designs varying from an adobe dwelling of 1818, to a Spanish-style church of 1926.In 1953, a state historic park was created to preserve the area which was later purchased by the State of California and the County and City of Los Angeles. In 1989, control was completely transferred to the City of Los Angeles.