We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Frank Reynolds, the son of William George Reynolds, the artist, was born in London on 13th February 1876. After studying at Heatherley's School of Art, Reynolds began working for Illustrated London News. He also produced cartoons for several other journals.
Reynolds first began contributing to Punch Magazine in 1906. He also provided the illustrations of several books by Charles Dickens including David Copperfield (1911), The Pickwick Papers (1912) and The Old Curiosity Shop (1913). A fellow cartoonist, Cyril Bird, described Reynolds as "a latter-day" John Leech.
During the First World War Reynolds cartoons appeared regularly in Punch Magazine. As Mark Bryant has pointed out: "Though he drew many varieties of cartoon he is particularly remembered for his anti-Kaiser pictures in Punch during World War I, notably the famous Study of a Prussian Household Having its Morning Hate."
Reynolds contributed to several journals including The London Magazine, The Sketch and the The Windsor Magazine. Reynolds replaced F. W. Townsend, his brother-in-law, as Art Editor of the magazine in 1920 and held the post until 1930.
In later years Reynolds concentrated on book illustration. This included The Golf Book (1932), Off to the Pictures (1937) and Hamish McDuff (1937). His son, John Reynolds (1909-1935) was also a book illustrator and provided the drawings for 1066 And All That (1930).
Frank Reynolds died on 18th April, 1953.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Frank Reynolds' Arrival Changed the Show For the Better
Frank Reynolds joining It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia changed the show for the better, turning it into the absurd FX staple fans know and love.
Calling It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia a surprise success is an understatement. This show about the five worst people living in the city of brotherly love has become a tentpole of FX's programming, with 14 seasons in the tank. But the reality is that if Danny DeVito hadn't joined the cast at the beginning of Season 2, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia would have ended years ago.
When the show launched in August 2005, it starred four main characters who had known each other for years. In some cases, their friendships had been going on since a very young age. Dennis Reynolds, Dee Reynolds, Ronald "Mac" McDonald and Charlie Kelly essentially formed a bond over being four terrible human beings who took selfishness to a whole new level.
But in Season 1, it was just the four of them. The gang was a bunch of goons who tried to screw each other over, along with anyone else possible. At the same time, they lacked the zany imagination that has typified their shenanigans over the years. As Jack Donaghy said to Liz Lemon in the first episode of 30 Rock, TGS needed that third heat to take the show over the top. Or in the case of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, a fifth heat.
In Season 2, Episode 1, Dennis and Sweet Dee were visited by their father, Frank Reynolds. Played by the legendary Danny DeVito, Frank was a successful and incredibly wealthy businessman. He was in the process of getting divorced and immediately sunk into the gutter with the gang. Frank would eventually work his way into their group, mostly by buying the land part of the bar was on and forcing his way in.
Frank Reynolds turned out to be exactly what the show needed. He facilitates many of the gang's plans with his vast fortune. As disturbing as this is, he is also the most depraved out of all of them. There are maybe a few horrific things he isn't capable of doing. In Season 9, Episode 4, he got himself trapped in a children's playground coil, dressed only in his underwear. While the official reason was never revealed, the gang assumes he went there to pleasure himself.
Frank offers a completely different perspective on the gang. There is a lot of history he isn't aware of. As such, the gang has to explain things to him frequently. Frank often represents the audience as he draws out the information viewers need to further understand the show and its characters. This came up in Season 7, Episode 7 as they had to explain Chardee MacDennis to Frank, a truly disturbing game they created years earlier.
The character of Frank Reynolds was the extra oomph It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia needed to get to the next level. He has been the catalyst for several stories that would not have existed without him. The depths of comedy the show has sunk to would not have been possible if Danny DeVito hadn't joined the cast. Simply put, Frank made the show's premise work -- and endure.
The people of Cherokee County know and trust Frank Reynolds. Frank, age 45, has lived in Cherokee County for 32 years.
• Frank went to Canton Elementary and attended Cherokee High School before graduating from Riverside Military Academy.
• Frank also graduated from Reinhardt University where he met his wife, Dr. Jennifer DeBord Reynolds. Jennifer is a life-long resident of the Waleska area. Jennifer is a Cherokee County Special Education teacher and is a member of the Cherokee County Service League. Jennifer’s mother is also a retired Cherokee County educator.
• Frank’s parents are Roy and Eileen Reynolds. The Reynolds name has a deep history in Cherokee County dating back to the mid-1930s. Roy Reynolds Sr. owned and operated Reynolds Ford in Canton for nearly 30 years and was also the Mayor of Canton for four terms in the late ‘60s to early ‘70s.
• Roy Jr. was known as the local naval aviator and airline pilot. Roy Jr. also carried the “chains” for the Cherokee High School football team for 36 years. Frank’s mother, Eileen, worked for the Bank of Canton for 14 years until she retired in 1999.
• Frank has 2 brothers and 3 sisters. All of Frank’s siblings live in Cherokee County: Roy, Gavin, Renee, Leslie Bland, and Michele Prance. Roy is a retired Major with the Fulton County Marshal’s office and current Lacrosse coach in Cherokee County. Gavin is a former Cherokee County deputy sheriff. Leslie Bland is a Cherokee County school teacher with over 30 years of experience. Renee works as veterinarian tech on Woodstock. Michele Prance is an Honorary Member of the Cherokee County Service League after serving for 10 years.
• Frank understands your concerns and needs for our community. As your next Sheriff, Frank will always have your best interest in mind.
Who is Sheriff Frank Reynolds? Wiki, Age, Wife, Net Worth, Biography
Frank Reynolds is a Sheriff who works with Captain Jay Baker at the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office. In his career, he worked in Iraq, and quite know personality on social media. Frank Reynolds fans are wondering how their favorite stars are doing now? well, we are going to provide you the inside details, so stick around!
In this article, you will read about Frank Reynolds Wikipedia, Biography, Age, Height, Girlfriend, Net Worth, Family & Facts.
Know About Frank Reynolds
Frank Reynolds was born in 1979 and which means he is 45 years old as of 2021, he was born to parents Roy and Eileen Reynolds, Frank has 2 brothers and 3 sisters.
In 2021, he lives in Cherokee County, he had a splendid career and gained a reputation by doing so. Talking about his career, he served as the Field Operations Commander of Uniform Patrol, Criminal Investigations, School Resource Officers, Traffic Unit, K9, Training Division, Professional Standards, and served as the Operational Security Specialist, Iraq.
Frank went to Canton Elementary and attended Cherokee High School before graduating from Riverside Military Academy. Then, he graduated from Reinhardt University where he met his wife, Dr. Jennifer DeBord Reynolds.
Jennifer is a life-long resident of the Waleska area and serving as the Cherokee County Special Education teacher and is a member of the Cherokee County Service League. Also, she is a retired Cherokee County educator.
Besides Instagram, he has also a social media reach on various platforms such as TikTok, Twitter, Snapchat, Youtube, and Telegram. Frank Reynolds was raised in Cherokee County, however, there is little information about the location he lived in earlier. Also, he likes to travel quite sometimes, and his favorite locations in the U.S are Las Vegas, NYC, and Miami Beach.
Fast forward to now, Frank Reynolds is leading a luxurious lifestyle which made possible through his hard work. On Instagram, he influences people to achieve their goals.
Relationship Status & More
Curently, Frank Reynolds is enjoying his married life with a perfect life partner. Frank is married to Dr. Jennifer DeBord Reynolds, the couple shares three children together.
Digging through his Instagram profile shows that he likes to explore new and adventurous places.
Net Worth & Income
Well, the main question is How much Frank Reynolds Worth? Talking about the Net Worth he is worth $700K USD as of 2021.
Frank Reynolds maintained a well-developed physique, he stands 5 feet 9 inches tall and reportedly weighs 77kg.
RESUME / TRAINING HISTORY
• Field Operations Commander of Uniform Patrol, Criminal Investigations, School Resource Officers, Traffic Unit, K9, Training Division, Professional Standards.
• Overseeing Assigned Annual Budget, Personnel, Equipment, and Policy
• Community Outreach Instructor, Citizens Sheriff’s Academy
• Adjunct Police Academy Instructor
• Evening Watch Commander, Bells Ferry Precinct
• Marksman Team Leader
• Tactical Commander, Iraq
• Operational Security Specialist, Iraq
Prior Related Experience
• Pickens Sheriff’s Office, Captain
• Acworth Police Department
• Department of State, WPPS HTP, IC BWUSA
• Cherokee Sheriff’s Office, Watch Commander
• Master of Public Administration, Justice Administration, Columbus State University
• Bachelor’s Degree from Reinhardt University
• Associate’s Degree from Reinhardt University
• Riverside Military Academy
• Command College, Columbus State University
• FBI National Academy, Class 244
• Professional Management Program, Columbus State University
• Criminal Justice Certificate, University of Virginia
• Georgia Chiefs of Police Executive Training
Professional Certifications/Career Development
• GA Senior Deputy
• GA POST Managerial Certification
• GA POST Supervision Certification
• GA POST Advanced Certification
• GA POST Intermediate Certification
• GA POST Field Training Officer
• GA POST Basic Jailor
• General Instructor
• Firearms Instructor
• Less-Lethal Instructor
• Health and Wellness Instructor
• Shotgun Instructor
• Standardized Field Sobriety Instructor
• Defensive Tactics Instructor
• Master SWAT
• Advanced SWAT
• Basic SWAT
• Advanced Marksman
• US Army Marksman School
• US Army Narco-terrorism
• Federal Law Enforcement Training Center Police Marksman
• 1996 Olympic Security
• Drug Recognition Expert School
• Department Of State World-Wide Personal Protection Program I & II
• Rotary Club of Canton
• Optimist Club of Canton
• Cherokee County Chamber of Commerce
• Cherokee County Historical Society, Board Member
• Published Editorials
• Mothers Against Drunk Driving Officer of the Year, MADD
• Reinhardt University 10 Under 10 Annual Award
• Special Recognition from the Department of State
• Medal of Bravery
• Meritorious Service Award
• Numerous letters of appreciation and commendation
Early history Edit
The son of a tobacco farmer in Virginia, Richard Joshua "RJ" Reynolds sold his shares of his father's company in Patrick County, Virginia, and ventured to the nearest town with a railroad connection, Winston-Salem, to start his own tobacco company.  He bought his first factory building from the Moravian Church and established the "little red factory" with seasonal workers. The first year, he produced 150,000 pounds of tobacco by the 1890s, production had increased to several million pounds a year.  The company's factory buildings were the largest buildings in Winston-Salem, with new technologies such as steam power and electric lights.  The second primary factory building was the oldest Reynolds factory still standing and was sold to Forsyth County in 1990. 
At the beginning of the 1900s, Reynolds bought most of the competing tobacco factories in Winston-Salem.  The company produced 25% of America's chewing tobacco.  1907's Prince Albert smoking tobacco became the company's national showcase product, which led to high-profile advertising in New York City's Union Square.  The Camel cigarette became the most popular cigarette in the country. The Reynolds company imported so much French cigarette paper and Turkish tobacco for Camel cigarettes that Winston-Salem was designated by the United States federal government as an official port of entry for the United States, despite the city being 200 miles (320 km) inland.  Winston-Salem was the eighth-largest port of entry in the United States by 1916. 
In 1917, the company bought 84 acres (34 ha) of property in Winston-Salem and built 180 houses that it sold at cost to workers, to form a development called "Reynoldstown". 
At the time Reynolds died in 1918 (of pancreatic cancer), his company owned 121 buildings in Winston-Salem.  He was so integral to company operations that executives did not hang another chief executive's portrait next to Reynolds' in the company board room until 41 years later.  Reynolds' brother William Neal Reynolds took over following Reynolds' death, and six years later Bowman Gray became the chief executive. By that time, Reynolds Co. was the top taxpayer in the state of North Carolina, paying $1 out of every $2.50 paid in income taxes in the state, and was one of the most profitable corporations in the world.  It made two-thirds of the cigarettes in the state. 
Reynolds Co.'s success during this period can also be measured by the concurrent success of many Winston-Salem companies that received large amounts of business from Reynolds: Wachovia National Bank became one of the largest banks in the Southeast, and the company's law firm Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice became the largest law firm in North Carolina. 
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco diversified into other areas, buying Pacific Hawaiian Products, the makers of Hawaiian Punch, in 1962, Sea-Land Service in 1969, and Del Monte Foods in 1979. Sea-Land was spun off in 1984. 
Because of the company's diversification, the company changed its name to R.J. Reynolds Industries, Inc. in 1970. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. was a subsidiary. 
RJR Nabisco Edit
R.J. Reynolds Industries merged with Nabisco Brands in 1985, and the name changed to RJR Nabisco in August 1986.  In 1987, a bidding war ensued between several financial firms to acquire RJR Nabisco. Finally, the private equity takeover firm Kohlberg Kravis and Roberts & Co (commonly referred to as KKR) was responsible for the 1988 leveraged buyout of RJR Nabisco. This was documented in several articles in The Wall Street Journal by Bryan Burrough and John Helyar. These articles were later used as the basis of a bestselling book, Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco,  and then into a television movie. As a result, in February 1989, RJR Nabisco paid executive F. Ross Johnson US$53,800,000 as part of a golden handshake clause, the largest such deal in history at the time,  as severance compensation for his acceptance of the KKR takeover. He used the money to open his own investment firm, RJM Group, Inc.  In 1999 RJR Nabisco spun off R.J. Reynolds Tobacco, which began trading on June 15 as R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Holdings, Inc., and a year later announced it would buy Nabisco Group Holdings Inc., the company that had been RJR Nabisco. This followed the sale of Nabisco Holdings Group to Philip Morris. 
Recent history Edit
In 1994, then CEO James Johnston testified under oath before Congress, saying that he didn't believe that nicotine is addictive.  In 1998, the company was part of the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement with 46 U.S. states, agreeing to pay smoking-related health care costs and restrict advertising in return for protection against private lawsuits.
In 1999, R.J. Reynolds was spun out of RJR Nabisco. The same year, the company sold all its non-U.S. operations to Japan Tobacco, which made those operations into its international arm, JT International. Consequently, any Camels, Winstons or Salems sold outside the United States are now actually Japanese cigarettes.
In 2002, the company was fined $15 million for handing out free cigarettes at events attended by children, and was fined $20 million for breaking the 1998 Master Agreement, which restricted targeting youth in its tobacco advertisements. 
In 2001–2011, the European Union was involved in three civil suits against R.J. Reynolds in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, accusing the company of selling black market cigarettes to drug traffickers and mobsters from Italy, Russia, Colombia and the Balkans. The suits were unsuccessful.    
On July 30, 2004, R.J. Reynolds merged with the U.S. operations of British American Tobacco (operating under the name of Brown & Williamson). A new parent holding company, Reynolds American Inc., was established as part of the transaction.
In May 2006 former R.J. Reynolds vice-president of sales Stan Smith pleaded guilty to charges of defrauding the Government of Canada of $1.2 billion (CDN) through a cigarette smuggling operation. Smith confessed to overseeing the 1990s operation while employed by RJR. Canadian-brand cigarettes were smuggled out of and back into Canada, or smuggled from Puerto Rico, and sold on the black market to avoid taxes. The judge referred to it as biggest fraud case in Canadian history. 
Since 2006, R.J. Reynolds has been the subject of a Farm Labor Organizing Committee (FLOC) campaign to reduce the exploitative nature of its tobacco procurement system. FLOC's goal is to meet with Reynolds executives, growers, and workers in collective bargaining to improve farmworkers' pay and living conditions. Although there are many layers of subcontractors within the procurement system that seemingly absolve Reynolds of responsibility, FLOC asserts that its executives have the ability to make changes within the system due to their wealth and enormous power. Despite repeated refusals to meet from CEO Susan Ivey, FLOC continues the campaign against R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. 
In 2010, Reynolds American announced that the company would close its manufacturing plants in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and Puerto Rico. Production from these plants will be moved to the Tobaccoville, North Carolina, plant. 
On July 15, 2014, Reynolds American agreed to buy Lorillard Tobacco Company for $27.4 billion.  The deal also included the sale of the Kool, Winston, Salem, and blu brands to Imperial Tobacco for $7.1 billion. 
In January 2017, Reynolds American agreed to a $49.4 billion deal to be taken over by British American Tobacco.  The deal was completed July 25, 2017. 
From 1972, R.J. Reynolds was a title sponsor of the NHRA Winston Drag Racing Series, the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and until 1993, the IMSA Camel GT for sportscars.
The NHRA sponsorship lasted up to 2001, before a new governing rule stated the Master Settlement Agreement, restricting R.J. Reynolds to one sponsorship of a sporting event as a result, they chose NASCAR, which lasted up to 2003.
The Lotus Formula One team was sponsored by Camel from 1987 until 1990.
RJR brand Winston was a sponsor of the 1982 FIFA World Cup whilst fellow RJR brand Camel was a sponsor of the 1986 FIFA World Cup. 
In late 2005, R.J. Reynolds opened the Marshall McGearty Lounge in the Wicker Park neighborhood of Winston-Salem as part of a marketing strategy to promote a brand of "superpremium" cigarettes and counteract local smoking bans in restaurants and cafes that took effect in 2006. The lounge, which offers thirteen varieties of exclusive "hand-crafted" cigarette, along with alcohol and "light food", has been "well received" in the neighborhood and by the targeted upscale market, according to company officials. The lounge has since been closed due to North Carolina indoor smoking restrictions.
The company planned to open a second location in Winston-Salem in the summer of 2007, but scrapped those plans within weeks of opening, citing the increasing number of smoking restrictions in public places by state and local governments. 
Joe Camel Edit
In 1987, RJR resurrected the mascot for their Camel brand of cigarette, Joe Camel. Joe Camel, an anthropomorphic cartoon camel wearing sunglasses, was claimed to be a ploy to entice and interest the underaged in smoking. R.J. Reynolds maintained that Joe's "smooth character" was meant only to appeal to adult smokers.
This criticism was reinforced by a 1991 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association  showing that more children five and six years old could recognize Joe Camel than could recognize Mickey Mouse or Fred Flintstone (coincidentally, Fred Flintstone was also once used to sell R.J. Reynolds' Winston cigarettes) and alleged that the Joe Camel advertisement campaign was targeting children, despite R.J. Reynolds' contention that the campaign had been researched only among adults and was directed only at the smokers of other brands. In response to this criticism, RJR instituted "Let's Clear the Air on Smoking," a campaign of full-page advertisements consisting entirely of large type text, which denied the charges and declared that smoking is "an adult custom."
By 1953, RJ Reynolds held an internal belief that cigarettes caused cancer. On February 2 of that year, RJ Reynolds research chemist and executive Claude Teague released 'Survey of Cancer Research', a confidential internal document for RJ Reynolds upper management.  He concluded that clinical data was confirming the fact that tobacco was "an important etiologic factor in the induction of primary cancer of the lung." He also wrote that many findings of animal studies "would seem to indicate the presence of carcinogens." 
In May 2011, a Miami-Dade Circuit jury awarded Julie Reese, an 82-year-old Cape Coral smoker represented by The Ferraro Law Firm, a total verdict of $1 million from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco, after she developed laryngeal cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The jury found Reynolds to be negligent, guilty of fraud by concealment and fraud conspiracy, and guilty of placing a defective product on the market.  
On February 25, 2020, Chief Judge Rodney Gilstrap of the United States District for the Eastern District of Texas determined that Reynolds remained liable for its full portion of an annual $8 billion settlement payment based on a settlement agreement that Reynolds reached with the State of Texas in 1998.  Reynolds had previously claimed that its divestiture of several brands to Imperial Tobacco Group Brands, LLC had extinguished its obligation to make payments for those brands under the 1998 Settlement Agreement. Chief Judge Gilstrap disagreed in a 92-page memorandum opinion and order, finding that Reynolds' position was "oppressive, inequitable, and unreasonable" in addition to being contrary to governing law. 
R.J. Reynolds brands include Newport, Camel, Doral, Eclipse, Kent and Pall Mall. Brands still manufactured but no longer receiving significant marketing support include Capri, Carlton, GPC, Lucky Strike, Misty, Monarch, More, Now, Old Gold, Tareyton, Vantage, and Viceroy. Discontinued brands include Barclay, Belair, and Real. The company also manufactures certain private-label brands. Five of the company's brands are among the top ten best selling cigarette brands in the United States, and it is estimated that one in three cigarettes sold in the country were manufactured by R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. In 2010 R.J. Reynolds acquired the rights to the smokeless tobacco products Kodiak and Grizzly dip.
In 1990, RJ Reynolds planned to launch a new cigarette brand called Uptown, aimed primarily at African-Americans. To appeal to blacks seeking a less pronounced menthol taste (similar to Lorillard's Newport, which was gaining share), Reynolds decided against using green on the packaging, and instead used black and gold, the colors of luxury European cigarettes. 
Narrowing the marketing further, Uptown cigarettes were to be packed with filters facing down, the reverse of the usual arrangement. Market research indicated that many blacks open packs from the bottom, possibly to avoid crushing the filters.  It was later discovered that cigarette packs were opened from the bottom for a different reason: "This phenomenon traces back at least to World War II, when cigarettes were a valued commodity among soldiers. Often a soldier temporarily without cigarettes and without funds would bum a smoke from a fellow soldier. It was impolite to refuse such a request. However, there were two occasions when a refusal was not considered impolite: if there was only one cigarette left in the pack and if the pack was not yet opened. A pack opened from the bottom and resting, as it normally did, in a shirt pocket would appear unopened. Therefore, the soldier in possession of cigarettes would be able to avoid having to give too many away." 
The promotional blitz was scheduled to begin on February 5, 1990, and Philadelphia was selected as the test market because of its large black population. Before it began, the campaign came under fire from religious, health and black-interest groups who expressed concerns about promoting cigarette smoking to blacks. 
On January 19, 1990, Reynolds abruptly decided to cancel the cigarette, saying that the test marketing would no longer be reliable because of what it called, "the unfair and biased attention that brand has received." 
R.J. Reynolds built the "Little Red Factory" in 1892. It was uncertain whether it was torn down or made a part of Building 256-1, one of several red brick buildings on Chestnut Street built between 1911 and 1925. Much of the Building 256 complex burned in one of the city's worst fires ever on August 27, 1998, when the former factories were being renovated for Piedmont Triad Research Park. Albert Hall, or Building 256-9, was made of concrete and did not burn but had smoke damage it was used for training until 1990 and was being renovated in 1998. 
In 1916, the first of five buildings known as Plant 64 between Fourth and Fifth Streets was built.  The 400,000-square-foot Plant 64 was the oldest remaining Reynolds plant when it was renovated at a cost of $55 million into 242 apartments, with the first residents moving in on July 1, 2014.  
The last building used for making cigarettes downtown was Building No. 12 across Second Street from the Building 256 complex, which Forsyth County bought when manufacturing ended there in 1990  finished in 1916,  it was to be renovated for county offices after an announcement in 1999.  Building 60 was built in 1923 and later renovated.  Three buildings which were part of the "90 series" on Vine Street were later renovated  the one at 525 Vine was built in 1926,  while Buildings 90-3 and 90-1A at 635 Vine, used for tobacco processing, were built in the early 1960s.   Building 91, a machine shop built in 1937, was later renovated and became part of the research park.  Bailey Power Plant, a coal-fired plant built in 1947, included Buildings 23-1, 23-2 and the Morris Building, and was used until 1997 and later became part of the research park.   
The company's headquarters were located in the Reynolds Building in Winston-Salem for more than 50 years. Built in 1929, the 21-story building was designed by the same architects (Shreve & Lamb) who later designed the Empire State Building in New York City.  
Reynolds Boulevard Edit
The first R.J. Reynolds buildings on present-day Reynolds Boulevard were the three-story leaf buildings, the 2-1 building built in 1937 and the 2-2 building in 1955. These were named to the National Register of Historic Places in October 2017, and in October 2019 C.A. Harrison Cos. LLC, developer of Plant 64, announced the buildings would be renovated for loft apartments. 
Built in 1961 at a cost of $32 million ($254 million in 2015 dollars), the Whitaker Park plant had 790,300 square feet of manufacturing space and was considered "the world's largest and most modern cigarette-manufacturing plant".  It was announced in May 2010 that cigarette manufacturing would cease at Whitaker Park by mid-2011, this had been done. Manufacturing formerly performed at the Whitaker Park plant was consolidated in the more-modern Tobaccoville plant. On January 7, 2015, Reynolds announced that Whitaker Park was being donated to Whitaker Park Development Authority Inc., started in April 2011 by Winston-Salem Business Inc., the Winston-Salem Alliance and Wake Forest University.  As of October 2019, Hanesbrands had taken over space in the 601-11 building as a distribution center, and Cook Medical had plans to move into 850,000 square feet of the plant by 2022. 
Headquarters buildings Edit
In September 1977, R.J. Reynolds Industries moved the first of 1200 headquarters employees into the not-yet-completed,  $40 million,   519,000-square-foot  glass and steel World Headquarters Building   being built across Reynolds Boulevard from the Whitaker Park plant.  At the same time, the company had plans for a new skyscraper downtown. 
The current headquarters, the RJR Plaza Building, is 16 stories tall and was completed in 1982 adjacent to the original 1929 Reynolds Building.  The tobacco company moved its headquarters to RJR Plaza in 1982, and the 1929 building continued to be used for some company offices until 2009  the older building stood vacant  until new owners in 2014 began the process to convert it to a hotel. 
With the parent company (renamed RJR Nabisco in 1985 after merging with Nabisco) planning to move its headquarters to Atlanta in September 1987, the company donated the World Headquarters Building to Wake Forest University in January 1987, and in July of that year, the company voted to move its Planters-Life Savers division to one-third of that building.   In May 1999, BB&T bought what was then called the First Union Building for $2.5 million from Aon Consulting Inc., which moved about 400 employees to the former headquarters building which was called University Corporate Center.  In 2010, the building's tenants were Aon, BB&T, and PepsiCo.  On November 1 of that year, Pepsi announced 195 new jobs and a $7.5 million expansion of University Corporate Center, with BB&T moving two of its operations to Reynolds Business Center.  Aon and Pepsi remained the primary occupants in 2015. 
Other facilities Edit
R.J. Reynolds' largest plant, Tobaccoville, a 2-million-square-foot (190,000 m 2 ) facility constructed in 1986, is located in the town of Tobaccoville, North Carolina near Winston-Salem.
Macon manufacturing, located in Macon, Ga., resides in a 1.4-million-square-foot (130,000 m 2 ) facility built in 1974. This manufacturing plant was formerly known as Brown & Williamson, which was purchased by Reynolds and eventually closed in 2006.
When Cigarette Companies Used Doctors to Push Smoking
What cigarette do doctors says causes less throat irritation? In the 1930s and 40s, tobacco companies would happily tell you it was theirs. Doctors hadn’t yet discovered a clear link between smoking and lung cancer, and a majority of them actually smoked cigarettes. So in cigarette ads, tobacco companies used doctors’ authority to make their claims about their cigarettes seem more legitimate.
To the modern-day reader, the pitching of cigarettes as healthy (even to youth and pregnant moms) and the use of doctors’ endorsements may appear horrifying. Yet before 1950, there wasn’t good evidence showing that cigarette smoking was bad for you.
A 1930 Lucky Strike advertisement.
“People started to get worried in the s because lung cancer was spiking the lung cancer death rate was going through the roof,” says Martha Gardner, a history and social sciences professor at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. “People noticed that and were worried about it, but that didn’t mean they knew it was cigarettes.”
Yes, cigarettes did cause coughing and throat irritation. But companies used this to their advantage to promote their product as better than the competition. It wasn’t all cigarettes that gave you problems—it was just those other ones.
The first cigarette company to use physicians in their ads was American Tobacco, maker of Lucky Strikes. In 1930, it published an ad claiming ,679 Physicians say ‘LUCKIES are less irritating’” to the throat. To get this number, the company’s ad agency had sent physicians cartons of Lucky Strike cigarettes and a letter asking if they thought Lucky Strikes were “less irritating to sensitive and tender throats than other cigarettes,” while noting 𠇊 good many people” had already said they were.
1937 Philip Morris advertisement claiming their brand cleared up irritation of the nose and throat.
Unsurprisingly, many doctors responded positively to this biased, leading question, and Lucky Strike ads used their answers to imply their cigarettes must be medically better for your throat. In 1937, the Philip Morris company took that one step forward with a Saturday Evening Post ad claiming doctors had conducted a study showing “when smokers changed to Philip Morris, every case of irritation cleared completely and definitely improved.” What it didn’t mention was that Philip Morris had sponsored those doctors.
Philip Morris continued to advertise “studies” it sponsored through the 1940s, the decade that saw the introduction of penicillin. “The American public is thinking about medicine in such a positive way and science in a positive way,” says Gardner, who co-authored an American Journal of Public Health article about doctors in cigarette ads. “So framing it that way seems like it’ll help appeal to people.”
Responding to the recommendation of a legislative study committee that “every citizen of the Commonwealth be given an opportunity to attend an institution of higher learning offering academic, occupational/ technical, and community service programs at a nominal cost,” in 1966 the General Assembly of Virginia established a state-wide system of community colleges. A newly established State Board for Community Colleges prepared a master plan for a system of 23 institutions. The Lieutenant Governor, J. Sargeant Reynolds, heralded the creation of the community college system by the General Assembly as “one of its finest acts and finest hours in this century.”
Reynolds Community College, the last of these colleges, is named in honor of the late Lieutenant Governor of the State, who championed legislation creating the state-supported community colleges. Opened in 1972 in temporary headquarters, Reynolds is now a four-location (Parham Road, Downtown, Goochland, The Kitchens at Reynolds) institution. It is one of the largest in the Virginia Community College System, serving the City of Richmond and the counties of Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, Powhatan, and Louisa.
From its inception, the college has recognized its strategic role in the metropolitan Richmond area’s economic development. In 1977 the college established its nationally recognized Center for Office Development, a statewide pilot project with the Virginia Community College System and State of Virginia, to provide training in office and supervisory skills for employees of the Commonwealth. Within several years the Center opened this training opportunity to all individuals and businesses. By spring 1989, the college offered short-term training and seminars at three strategic locations in the metropolitan Richmond area.
Demand for these services from the business community continued to escalate. As a result, the college reorganized its outreach efforts in 1994 by creating the Institute for Economic Development & Extended Studies. In response to the evolving needs of the business community, the unit reorganized in the fall of 2000, changing its name to the Institute for Workforce Development. The Institute was comprised of six Centers including the Center for Corporate Training, the Center for Organizational Effectiveness, the Center for Lifelong Learning, the Center for Apprenticeship Programs, the Center for Entrepreneurial Development, and the Center for Professional Development and Renewal.
Reynolds Community College and John Tyler Community College collaborated in 2003 to create a new workforce development entity that provides business, industry and government in the region with a single source for workforce development. The new organization is named the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA). The alliance is a cooperative partnership dedicated to supporting economic development and providing world-class workforce training and services to both the public and private sectors. The vision behind the new organization is to maximize the talents and resources of both institutions’ current workforce development centers in an effort to provide Richmond, Tri-cities and surrounding counties with a world-class regional workforce development organization.
The college currently offers two-year occupational/technical programs, transfer programs and career studies certificate programs requiring less than one-year of full-time study. Having enrolled more than 346,000 persons in credit courses since its opening, Reynolds Community College continues to strive to meet the aspirations of its namesake to provide “a practical and economic answer to the future educational needs of thousands of . Virginians.”
Loray Mills [Gastonia]
View larger image and credits
Frank W. Reynolds (1868-1951), a mill designer and engineer born and raised in Rhode Island, worked throughout his long life for the large engineering and architectural firm of Lockwood, Greene, and Company. The firm employed many men, and Reynolds was involved in many roles and in many projects. Most notable for North Carolina is that his initials “F.W.R” indicate his key role in planning the immense Loray Mills in Gastonia, one of the state’s and the nation’s largest textile mills.
When Lockwood, Greene, and Company undertook the massive Loray Mill project—the first major project in North Carolina by the nationally important company already active in South Carolina—various employees were involved in planning and management. One document—a mill village plan with the initials “J.E.S.” indicates that Joseph Emory Sirrine planned the Loray Mill Village. However, the drawings for the immense initial mill building have the initials, “F.W.R.”
According to the history of Lockwood, Greene, and Company, Frank W. Reynolds was born on April 17, 1868, in Providence, Rhode Island, in the center of the nation’s textile mill universe. He went to work for Lockwood and Greene in 1885 at age seventeen, perhaps as an office boy. He advanced rapidly and became “an exceptionally able draftsman with a strong bent toward architectural work: long before 1901 he was in charge of the drafting room, and was also taking full charge of a number of jobs in the office.” Reynolds worked directly with the company’s founder Stephen Greene and learned every aspect of the business.
Although the company history does not indicate which men designed which mills, the initials on the 1900-1901 Loray Mill drawings tie the design of that magnificent mill to Frank W. Reynolds. Additions to the mill were built later, and designed by other men. Reynolds doubtless designed other mills for Lockwood, Greene, and Company that remain to be identified. Nevertheless, Reynolds’s planning for the initial mill at Loray stands as a landmark in state and national industrial architecture.
Frank Reynolds - History
Before the railroad came to Reynolds, Frog Point (later called Belmont ) was the nearest point to travel for supplies and mail, or to ship out grain, etc. Freight was brought there by steamboat and then transported to its destination by wagon and vice-versa. The address on a letter in those days was simply the name of the person and the county in which they lived. With a post office and a railroad though, life indeed became a little easier for the Reynolds pioneers.
There was, of course, a language barrier, since many of the earlier pioneers spoke only German or Norwegian. With their determination, they learned to communicate with each other almost immediately, usually by motions and drawings.
The initial city ordinances of the 1880's included a chapter on the old "boardwalks", sidewalks. "All sidewalks built along the north line of blocks five and six, original town site, and three and four, third addition, and along the south line of blocks one and two, first addition, and forty-three, three addition, shall extend eight feet into the street from the block line, and shall be built of two-inch pine plank six inches wide, laid upon four two-by-six pine stringers placed upon edge, all other sidewalks shall extend four feet into the street from the block line and shall be built of one-inch pine boards, six inches wide, laid upon three stringers of two-by-four inch pine scantling placed upon-edge. All stringers shall be securely blocked or imbedded into the ground, or when built upon trestles shall be made secure and safe." In 1909 this ordinance was repealed, and thereafter all sidewalks were to be bui1t of cement.
The gravel road between Reynolds and Thompson was the Meridian Highway or old Highway 81. From Reynolds going south, it crossed the railroad tracks and went south on what we call the "dump ground road." It was the job of the Dray Man to maintain part of the highway and at that time it was done with a horse-drawn grader. If the Dray Man left for Thompson in the morning with his grader, he would make it there by noon for his meal, then back to Reynolds just in time for supper.
The City had occasional paupers passing through looking for a meal, or a night's lodging. The local businessmen took them in and later the City reimbursed the businessman.
The City also quite regularly provided food, coal, etc., to the very poor who resided in the City. The very destitute were sometimes sent to the County "Poor Farm."
Reynolds had a Motorcycle Club in the early 1900'sl From a picture which belonged to the now deceased Joe Renners, six of the members were identified as Joe Renners, Hans Salsburg, Ernest Neubauer, Ed Schreiner, Fred Fair, and Thomas Mealy.
Reynolds had their fraternal organizations, too. The Masons were the first. They had leased a portion of the third floor of the Rockaway Hotel as their lodge room. They In turn welcomed the Modern Woodmen Foresters and Modern Brotherhood of America to hold meetings there. With the Increase of Government and State aid, many of the fraternal orders went out of existence.
The Campfire Girls date back to the mid 1900's and also held their meetings in the Rockaway Hotel. A Mrs. Warra was one of the group leaders.
As early as 1910, Reynolds had a baseball team. Regarding the name of the team, the Eagles and the Red Sox were both recorded. Some of the early team members were: Clarence Schulstad, Henry Severinson, Elmer Olson, Henry Schulstad, Mike Olson, Clarence Peterson, Cliff Lebacken, and three Burgess brothers. Orlando J. (Ole) Lebacken was the batboy. In the late 1920's and through the 1930's, another team was very active. Some of the boys who played on the team during that time were: Ray and Joe Colee, Harry Mealy, Tillman Otson, Jim and John McMenamy, Norman Iverson, Ken Merrigan, Milford Henry, Clarence and Met Olson, Oliver Olson, Danny McMenamy, and Vernon Blake. Their manager was Joe McMenamy.
In 1908, the businessmen of Reynolds organized a commercial club with principally one object in mind, and that was to interest strangers in the rich farm lands lying within a radius of ten miles, of Reynolds. They printed booklets and advertised their assets.
In 1917, another pocket directory was printed compliments of the business firms existing at that time. The city officials were listed as Mayor, D.J. Hennessy, Alderman: C.O. Lebacken, L.L. Berg, Ole Haga, and Martin Erickson City Auditor, M.N. Brathovde Treasurer, H.R. Schulstad and Chief of Police, A.B. Steen. The following is quoted from the directory "The room is here for thousands of people those who are just starting out in life or desire to change their locations, some with limited means and a laudable ambition to possess a home others with capital who desire to get in on the ground floor and secure property that must of necessity, in the next few years, increase greatly in value. All branches of trades are well represented and the history of the growth in farm products in the township shows it to have been very healthy. In educational advantages, the town is on a par with any town of several times its size, and the children here are given the advantage of a high school education." Railroad fares were listed from Reynolds to the neighboring towns as Buxton, 15 cents, Hillsboro, 45 cents, Fargo,$1.45, Thompson, 20 cents, Grand Forks, 50 cents, Devils Lake, $2.70, Minot, $5.65.
A 1917 dance bill recalls this occasion on New Years Eve in 1917. It was the Old Settlers Dance and read: "The big event of the season. Everyone welcome - dancing room for all - hall, especially enlarged for this affair only - everyone come and dance the Fireman's Dance, Money Musk, Virginia Reel, Highland Fling, and swing the girl behind you in the Old Quadrille, and all the latest toe and elbow dances for the younger crowd . dance to commence at 9 o'clock sharp with the Grand March of the Buffaloes."
With the advent of modern conveniences, especially vehicular, businesses declined as people did business in larger towns. Consequently, there was a decline of population, and by 1915, Reynolds population was down to 412. The City was still very active then, and at that time in one of the issues of the Reynolds Enterprise Newspaper, the city was described as "Reynolds The Live Town" and there's no room for dead ones! In this same issue, a brief history was given of the businesses existing then. They are listed below and followed by brief histories of later businesses and organizations, and including the present businesses.
The largest building ever constructed on Main Street was the Rockaway Hotel. It was built in 1891 at a cost of $20,000,00 and was situated on about one quarter of a city block. The hotel was built by the Rockaway Co. of Long Island, New York . John Henderson was sent here by the company to supervise the construction of the hotel, and he was the first manager. O.L. Sande was the second manager, then James T. Mealy, who owned and operated the hotel for many years. Mr. Mealy helped haul the rocks that were used for the foundation of the hotel. This building was three stories high, with a full basement and had four fine light front rooms on the ground floor, with all large plate glass windows. It had a large dining room, washroom, cloakroom, and kitchen. On the two upper floors were thirty-seven bedrooms, each one with outside windows, it was noted that Mr. Mealy served his guests excellent meals and his hostelry was we11 patronized by both travelers and the local people. In later years, the two top stories were removed and also the kitchen and dining room at the rear. The rest of the building was used for many different businesses in its remaining years. The building was demolished in the late 1950's.
REYNOLDS ENTERPRISE NEWSPAPER
George Ryerson established the Reynolds Enterprise Newspaper in 1891. The following is from the first Reynolds Enterprise ever published – dated October 2, 1891 :
"FRIENDS AND CITIZENS: We have today the pleasure of presenting to you our first issue of the Reynolds Enterprise, which we hope you wilt all welcome to your homes.
"CITIZENS OF REYNOLDS: We ask you to Join with us in our effort to make this a live and progressive paper . one that will be a credit to our beautiful little village and one that we can send to our relatives and friends abroad with pride .
"FARMERS: it also becomes necessary to ask for your support. We must work together. Your prosperity means our prosperity, your welfare ours . we shall endeavor to give you a clean paper . One that you can carry home to your families .
"NORWEGIAN SPEAKING CITIZENS: If you cannot read an American paper yourselves, don't keep your children in ignorance of what is going on around them, but let them have the Enterprise and read the news in their own American language . taught them in the public schools .
The newspaper covered the national and local news, advertising, and even an occasional crossword puzzle. In 1910 Kenneth Williams purchased the newspaper. The next owners were A.J. Berger and Max Berthold. On October 7, 1926 , the newspaper changed its name to the Red River Valley Citizen. Records indicate that the office moved to a room in the rear of the Dickieson building, and then later still, it was published in Grand Forks , North Dakota as a county weekly. It went out of business In 1932.
The newspaper building itself, has a long history of occupants. The telephone office was on the second floor for many years. After the newspaper moved, the ground floor was used for two separate residential quarters. Adolph Ostlie's were one of the occupants the other was Mr. and Mrs. Harry Wold. Their daughter, Mervyn (Mrs. Glenn Lebacken) was born there. Later it became the Armour Cream Station operated by Harry Mealy. Then started a long line of cafe owners and operators: Phillip Beltz was believed to be the first, and also operated the adjoining beer parlor. A few more familiar names are: Anna Vien, Harold Miller, Frank Rolzynski, Ed Riddle, Olga Christianson and Hazel Broderson, Cliff Haarsager, and finally the Prying Pan Cafe. This cafe was started by local businessmen and interested parties who did not want the city without a cafe. They were called the Frying Pan Club and saw to the operation of the cafe until the new Bee Hive Lounge and Cafe was built in 1975. Reynolds Supply Company acquired the property, and the building was later torn down.
Ludvtg Schulstad built his hardware store in 1889 He carried a complete stock of shelf and heavy hardware. His business had a 20 feet by 40 feet warehouse at the rear of the store and also a loading platform. It is recorded that Ludvig Schulstad named his first son Henry Reynolds Schulstad. Dr. Reynolds was so honored that he deeded Mr. Schulstad several city lots as a gift. Henry Reynolds Schulstad was a cashier at the State Bank for many years, and then took over his Father's business. Mr. Schulstad stayed in this business until the 1940s. He sold the store to the Braaten Brothers in 1950. One year later, they sold the building to E.H. Enger. The warehouse was moved, and is now the Farmers Oil Company warehouse. The hardware building was torn down in the early 1960's.
LEBACKEN BROTHERS IMPLEMENT
Before purchasing the Smith Implement business, the Lebacken Brothers operated a general merchandise store in the former "Bee Hive". M.O. and C.O. Lebacken and Murphy established the Lebacken Implement. Murphy's share was purchased in 1905. The Brothers handled a complete tine of farming implements, machine and hand made harnesses, threshing machinery and seed, and the international and Deere Weber Lines. Orlando J. Lebaken, better known as "Ole", was the last owner of the store. It was sold to the Reynolds Supply Company in 1969.
In 1908, the City had gas streetlights, and in 1912 installed a municipal electric generating plant. The superintendent of the plant was Gunder Christianson. The main street was lighted with a beautiful "white way" of twenty posts, each post with five lighted globes. Because of this lighting, the main street was referred to as the "white way". The residential section had suspended lights. Several years later the Electric Construction Company built into Reynolds, and in 1926, the Northern States Power Company, then called the Red River Company, bought out the Electric Construction Company. Their first representative was E.H. Enger. The plant building was usually called the Power House. It served as the city hall for many years, and in the early 1940's became the fire station. The building is now vacant.
REYNOLDS INDEPENDENT ELEVATOR COMPANY
D.J. Hennessy purchased this elevator from the Minneapolis and Northern Elevator Company in 1911. He had been the local buyer for the elevator eleven years previous. This elevator was referred to as "The High Light Elevator" because it had a 500-watt lamp at the top. Mr.Hennessy held the Mayor's office for four full consecutive terms. This building is now the Reynolds Co-Op Elevator. Mr. Hennessy was a very congenial man and a clever one too. He composed a poem about some of the Reynolds people. (You will find that poem printed on another page.)
Fred Fair purchased the Home Bakery and Restaurant from G.H. Rose on
October 1, 1914 . His business had a soda fountain and lunch counter, and also confectionery, fruit, cigars, tobacco, and Ice cream. Herman Ostiie owned the business after Mr. Fair. In March 1929, a fire started in this building and it was completely destroyed. Bernie's Service Station is now on this site.
The Farmers Store was actually the Reynolds Co-Operative Company, managed by M.T. Iverson. This company was organized in 1910 and was capitalized for $8500.00. The farmers owned most of the stock in the company. This store handled general merchandise and groceries, and the wooden salt barrels with wooden staves for lutefisk and herring. At the rear of the building they had a large warehouse with a loading platform and a hitching shed extending to the alley. A few days before Christmas in 1920, fire destroyed the building.
Charles H. Taber purchased the drug store from J.B. Kerfoot in December of 1912. He was one of the youngest businessmen in the community. He carried a complete line of drugs, toilet articles, school supplies, cigars, and confectionery. This building was destroyed by fire along with the Farmer's Store. The fire station is presently on this site.
The flour mill was constructed in 1891, and owned and operated by William and Frank Janney. The machinery was driven by a 45 horsepower steam engine, and had a capacity of 100 barrels per day. They had a wheat exchange system that proved to be a great saving to the local farmers and others who came miles to take advantage of the offer. In September of 1927, it burned to the ground. The mill was located on the corner west of the present John Weber residence.
C.O. Gorder operated this business for many years. He also had a shoe repair shop and a board and rooming business and later a saloon. Mrs. Gorder (Ella) operated the business after her husband passed away. In the late l800's, before the Gorder's started their business, we can just assume that the following businesses were in the building Porter Brothers, general store Frank Drengson, harnessmaker John E. Larson, butcher. This building was torn down and the property belongs to John Weber.
The Davis Bowling Alley was owned and operated by C.H. Davis. It Is believed to have been in operation for a few years during the mid-1900's. Originally, the property belonged to the following: Gunder Christianson, garage Michael Forde, blacksmith Jacob Anderson, shoe store. The Davis building was believed to have been torn down, then in the 1920's, the Knutson Brothers constructed the building that is now Weber Grocery.
KeitePs Barber Shop was one of the well-remembered businesses the town. Nicholas Keitel opened his shop around 1905. It was a two-chair shop, and also a billiard parlor. Soft drinks, cigars, and tobacco were sold. Later, a bowling alley was added at the rear of the building. Mr. Keitel advertised in the local newspaper as "The Tonsonal Parlor," and offered free tourist road information. Mr. Keitel passed away in the late 1920's. The building was unoccupied for some time. The following are a few who operated a business in this building Joe McMenawy, beer parlor and a meat shop Duke McMenamy, Herb Nienas, Pete Avery, Nels Samuelson, and Vance Hanson, were all café operators. Vance and Lola Hanson operated the cafe from 1955 - 1963, and they were the last business in this building. It then stood empty until the 1970's when the building was razed.
Sven Ellingson, a pioneer businessman, carried a complete line of the latest in furniture, rugs, glassware, and a crockery line. His son, Oscar later carried on the business. This building too, had a long history of owners, Emmett Ellingson operated a restaurant here, and later Duke McMenamy took over that business. Archie and June Benson started a grocery store in 1948, and in 1950, Duke McMenamy returned to operate the grocery business. He sold the store and business to Henry Hallan, and Mr. Hallan is believed to be the last person to occupy the building. It remained empty until the 1970's when the building was demolished.
On December 2, 1899 , the Valley Lumber Company, who owned yards at Hillsboro , Buxton, Cummings, Kelso, and Grandin, purchased the local yard from McKinney and McWilliams. H.T. Taber was named the manager. They carried a complete stock of lumber, cement, plaster, coal, and wood. M.T. Iverson was a later manager, and in 1926 it was called the Thompson Yards, Inc. This business was located north of the present Farmers Oil Company office and belongs to the Farmers Co-Op Elevator.
This bank was organized as the Farmers State Bank in 1909 with a capital of $15,000.00. Its President was S.N. Thompson Vice President, John K. Rosholt cashier, Martin Erickson. On March 20, 1914 , it became the First Nationa'1 Bank with a capita] of $25,000.00.' S.N, Thompson remained President, and Rosholt and Erickson were both Vice Presidents. The new Cashier was William F. Huck. Shortly after President Roosevelt declared his "Bank Holiday" in 1933, the bank closed. The next business to come into this building was the "Bee Hive". It is interesting to note that in the 1930's, Dr. Ralph Mahowald used an office on the second floor for his weekly medical visits.
N.H. Borgelin started his business in 1900, He specialized in wall paper hanging, interior and exterior painting, sign painting, and general decorating A Mr. Hoyte was believed to be the next painter on this site. It then became the present United States Post Office building.
The Reynolds Opera House was constructed in the late l890's. Dances, band concerts, movies, plays, etc. were held in this building. It was the “Town Hall” of the early years. It was located west of the Catholic Church. When George Berthold acquired his property next to the Opera House in 1934, the hall was still in use, but not frequently. Mr. Berthold purchased the Opera House and property about two years later. He removed the maple floor from the hall and installed it in his home. He tore down the building, with the exception of the entrance section, which was moved to the Bill Leddige farm, (present Verdeen Leddige farm), and used for a granary. The rest of the lumber was used to build his residential garage, which is still standing. Robert Severinson presently owns that property.
HERMAN SCHOTTHOEFER GARAGE
Herman Schotthoefer was a machinist and opened his garage and engine repair shop in 1911. George McCumber joined him later as an expert boiler and steam engine repairman. Together they added a gasoline station and an air pressure tank. Later owners of this building and business were Fred Berthold, and the last was believed to be Ted Breidenbach. The building was demolished in the 1940's.
In 1900, Ole Haga purchased his blacksmith shop from Martin Mela. His shop was fully equipped with all the latest machinery, such as a trip hammer, polisher, disc sharpener, etc.. He was an expert horse - shoer and blacksmith and had one of the busiest shops in the area. Mr. Haga was an avid skier, and won many trophies for his skill on the slopes! He was also an alderman on the City Council. Mr. Haga retired in 1953, and the last blacksmith shop was demolished in the late 1950's. His two daughters, Verna Haga, and Mrs. Donald (Bernice) Severinson still reside in the City.
REYNOLDS CONSTRUCTION COMPANY
The Reynolds Construction Company was organized in 1914 with capital stock of
$10,000.00. George E. Duis, K.O. Berge, Ferdinand Berthold, M.N. Brathovde, and J.V. Koelman were the incorporators and Board of Directors. The company manufactured cement blocks for building purposes. The factory was located about two miles south of town near the Berthold gravel pit. This site is now the Verdeen Leddige farm.
William H. Hemmy established Hemmy’s Quality Store in 1900. This business was a general store, carrying the No-Vary line of groceries, a full line of dry goods, shoes, clothing, and tobacco. He also had a stock of candy and cigars, and a five and ten cent counter. With the coming of electricity, Mr. Hemmy installed an electric motor for turning the coffee mill. In 1963 William and Laura Sorenson purchased the building and operated a cafe and pool hall and for a short time, a beer parlor. O.K. "Slim" Foss, and George Berthold operated a saloon after the Sorensons quit their business. Oscar Severinson purchased the property in 1943. Krogstad Garage is now on the site.
This building, erected in 1905 from native rock, at a cost of $10,000.00, is unanimously agreed, the most beautiful structure ever built in the City.
The bank was established in 1891 with a capital of $25,000.00. M.F. Murphy was the first President Vice President, Steven Collins Cashiers, M.N. Brathovde, John Murhpy, and H.R. Schulstad. John Murphy later became president of the bank until It closed In the later 1930's. It then became a bank station for the First State Bank of Buxton with Sid Lommen of Thompson , North Dakota as president and Joseph Olson of Buxton , North Dakota as the Buxton President. The building was then used as a private residence for a short while. It was later demolished and the Northwestern Bell Telephone Company purchased the property and constructed their new building on the site.
The Reynolds Tow Mill, whose manager was C.H. Davis, was built in 1903. It was located approximately three blocks south of the main street on the west side of the railroad tracks. It was advertised as the largest tow mill in the world. It had a capacity of fifteen tons every ten hours, and turned out from 350 to 400 bales of tow every day. The mill had its own electric light plant and during the rush season in the fall, it operated night and day. Between twenty and twenty-five men were employed in the mill the whole year round. It was destroyed by fire in the mid 1920's.
JOSEF SCHOTTHOEFER - BLACKSMITH
Josef Schotthoefer was a cousin to Herman Schotthoefer who operated a machine shop in Reynolds. He lived in the country on the former J.V. Schumacher home. He did his work in a building on the home site and had to transport the finished product to its destination by horse and wagon. A few of his masterpieces were the wrought iron Lebacken Implement sign which was erected atop their building another was the fence for the Catholic Cemetery in Grand Forks, which by the way, was transported in pieces in two teams of horses and wagons, and then assembled. That fence is still surrounding the cemetery. Another work of Josef's art was the communion railing in the Catholic Church in Reynolds. The railing was removed from the church in the 1960's when the Sanctuary was redecorated. Josef wished to see the railing preserved, and since he lived in the state of Michigan at the time, he asked John M. Adams and Fred Ackerman to store it until he could transport it to his home. After he safely got the railing home, in appreciation to John and Fred for storing it, he made them each an occasional table with a section of the railing as a base.
H.C.Richsteig purchased the meat market in 1910. He featured fresh meats, homemade sausages, and smoked meats. An icehouse was located at the rear of the building. Joseph McMenamy was the next owner of this business until it was destroyed by fire in March of 1927. Mr. McMenamy then moved his business to the Rockaway Hotel building, and later on to the Keitel building.
H.R Dickieson's general merchandise store was established in 1882, the same year he came to Reynolds. He purchased the business from Abe Abrahamson. Mr. Dickieson stayed in the business many years. The building then had different businesses occupying various sections. The building burned in March of 1930. At the time of the fire, the James Merrigan family was residing on the second floor. George Berthold was operating a pool hall. The post office and Merrigan's Barber Shop were also En the building. The First National Bank owned the building at that time. Mr. Merrfgan then opened a barbershop in the Rockaway Hotel, and the post office moved to Borgelin's Paint Shop and has remained there ever since.
An interesting story about the Dickieson's is that when they arrived here from Boston , Massachusetts , they brought with them their Negro slave. He did not wish to be free, and stayed with the Dickieson's until his death. He is buried in the Lutheran Cemetery north of Reynolds. His tombstone reads, "Oliver Bowland, Negro, faithful servant of H.R. Dickieson."
Anker Steen's business consisted of groceries, confectionery, and general merchandise. It was once part of Delmer Krogstad's Garage.
E.C. Olson, A.B. Almquist, and Halvor Severinson were the city contractors and builders.
Peter Anderson operated the livery Stable on east Main Street .
J.A. LaBounty operated a barbershop in the west room of the Dickieson Building .
Halvor Olson had his tailor shop in the Rockaway Hotel building.
J.F. McMenamy was the postmaster in 1915 the office was then in the Dickieson Building .
Mr. M Bye operatee a board and rooming house on main street.
Ed Sorenson's Pool hall also carried a line of confectionery, tobacco, cigars, and soft drinks. That building is now a granary on the Douglas Ackerman farm.
Howard S. Downs purchased the K.N. Knudsvig Jewelry Store on November 1, 1915 , and moved the business to a room in the Rockaway Hotel.
CITY PARK AND REYNOLDS CORNET BAND
As early as 1898, the city had their own band, known as the Reynolds Cornet Band with Conrad Berg as the leader. In 1918-1919, and again in 1936-1938, the city had a band. Two of the later bandleaders names were Gunder Christianson, and Roy Christianson. The band gave many concerts and marched in numerous parades. Mrs. Thea Krogstad, E.H. Enger's mother, was a dressmaker and made all the uniforms for the band in 1936-1938. The free concerts were given at the town hall and in the city park. This park also had an ice skating rink in the winter. The park is now the site of the school bus garage and county shed.
The city also had a bandstand that was located in the park and was used for many of the band concerts. It was later moved across the street to the west of Delmer Krogstads Garage. Years later, Harry Wold moved it to his property and enclosed it and used it for his garage, it sat on that property for many years, and the present owner of the property, Howard Drees of Thompson , North Dakota , gave the Centennial Committee permission to remove and restore it for their own Use. Many of the local residents took part in its restoration, and plans were made to use it during the Centennial Celebration. Further plans were made to locate it in the new city park.
Since the cities incorporation the first recorded ordinance with the telephone service was dated August 5, 1895 with the Northwestern Telephone Exchange Company. The ordinance gave the company the right to erect their poles and wires through the city. In May 1902, the Buxton, Reynolds, Belmont, and Climax, Minnesota Telephone Company held the franchise. In 1904 they were referred to as the Red River Valley Telephone Company. In October 1904 the Tri State Telephone and Telegraph Company was granted permission to construct their long distance lines and poles in the city. The switchboard office was relocated in the Reynolds Enterprise Newspaper Building on the second floor and remained there until about 1935 when the office was moved to the residential building that was in the site of the present Mary Sitter residence. The Telephone Company was still called the Red River Valley Telephone Company. Those were the days of the long and short rings, and when five long rings was for everyone to answer their telephone as this meant there was an emergency, good or bad news, and even advertising to be relayed. The Pioneer Telephone Company held the next franchise in 1953 and that was the beginning of the dial system. The switchboard was removed from the building and no longer needed. The last three operators were Wilma Tweeten, Ruby Davis, and Pearl Berthold. The telephone company then had a small building constructed for its equipment south of the former building. From January 1972, until January 1973, until the present, Northwestern Bell Telephone has held the franchise. They constructed a new building on the corner of main street, which was formerly the State Bank and Schulstad Hardware locations. In November of 1976, we were able to call Grand Forks toll free. During the last two years, the telephone posts were removed, and the lines were buried.
In the early days of Reynolds City the Dray Line was an important part of the community. The main job of the City Dray Line was to haul freight from the train depot - such as coal, lumber, groceries, etc. Also in the early days of the Dray Line (and when they were still using their teams), they would haul water from several different springs into town and fill the cisterns of the town's residents. Two of the springs were Tony Rakoczy's and Einar Bronken's. The hauling of water eventually graduated to a "water truck" until the City became connected With the Grand Forks – Traill Water Users, Inc. The City hired the Dray Line for snow removal on the street but as the times changed the duties of the dray line changed. The City Ordinances, adopted in 1893, state that in order to operate a Dray Line in the City of Reynolds a license must be obtained for the sum of $10.00 per year.
The first known operator of the Dray Line was Charles G. Swift, who was listed in the Gazetteer for 1896-97. In 1903 when Lars L. Berg moved to Reynolds, he operated the City Dray Line. Since then other operators have been Martin Austreng, Iver Severinson, Alfred Johnson and Ole Tweten. Before World War II, Virgil Bohm bought the Dray Line and his brother Bill ran it until Virgil returned from service in 1945. Virgil was the last one to operate the Dray Line until the "City Dray Line Era" ended, about 1958.
To give you some idea as to where these early businesses were located on main street: On the south side of main street, beginning at the present sewer lift station, was the site of the city Jail, and also the artesian well, with a water trough which was used by the farmers who came into town with their horse and buggy, and also by the local people who had cattle and no well. Across the street on the corner and going west was:
Davis Bowling Alley - now Weber Grocery Gorder's
Mrs. Bye's " former Braaten building
Rockaway Hotel - now Bee Hive
Then continuing west across the Street was:
The First National Bank" former Bee Hive, now Reynold's Supply Co
Lebacken Implement - now Reynolds Supply Co.
Ellingson Furniture - now Reynolds Supply Co.
Keitel's Barber Shop - now Reynolds Supply Co-
Hemmy's Quality Store - now Krogstad Garage
Steen's Confectionery - now Krogstad Garage
Across the street to the north and then going back east:
Fred Fair's Confectionery - now Bernie's Service
Farmer's Store - now City Hall
Taber's Drug Store - now Fire Hall
Across the street to the east:
First State Bank - now Telephone Company
Reynolds Enterprise Newspaper - formerly Frying Pan Cafe
Power House - former Fire Hall
Borgelin's Paint Shop - now Post Office
Across the street to the east was the Livery Stable, now the property of Marvin Grass. At one time there was another livery barn, (and harness shop) at the rear of the Lebacken Implement and both were in operation at the same time.
A slaughterhouse was once located at the former dump ground site and later, another one was located east of town near the coulee, on the Larry Griggs property.